cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liz_Shaw
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, 

I'm trying to create a formula that will direct to a Gantt view filtered by a ProjectID field (So I can create a "Open Gantt Chart" button in an Interface using the "go to url in record" action that will open a Gantt view filtered by a specific project.) 

I can create a formula that generates a filtered link to a Shared View (https://airtable.com/shrXXXXX?filterEquals_ProjectRecID=XXXXXXX)  but this Shared View isn't editable, which defeats the point. 

I have tried a formula for the non-shared view URL (https://airtable.com/appXXX/tblXXXXX/viwXXXXX?filterEquals_ProjectRecID=XXXXX ) but that only opens the un-filtered view.

Are there any tweaks to the URL formula that would make this work?

Thanks!

[Slightly off topic rant - I'm working on creating a semi-complex workflow Interface, and I'm getting increasingly frustrated. It seems like for every single feature I want to implement, there is a limitation in Airtable that I have to create several work arounds for... Gantt view isn't supported in interface. Ok, I'll create it as an extension in a Dashboard and link from the Interface to the Record URL and have a button field to launch the Gantt Extension (because you can't launch Extensions directly from an Interface). Oh wait, Gantt Extension has been removed, because now it's a View type.... which brings me to the above question. And this seems to happen with every single function. Can't edit linked records in Interface if they're displayed in any other view type other than "Field"; can't automatically connect one filter to data sources from different tables, even if they have a common field ; can't continue one filter across multiple Interface pages; Can't export a pdf from an Interface .... sigh]
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hm, so the end goal is to provide the user with access to a Gantt view where they would be able to manipulate the filters (including undoing the filters the page loaded up with), as well as being able to update the data within the table itself?

If so, I think the only way to do that would be by creating one view per project I'm afraid which I think is what yo'ure trying to avoid

I think if I were you I'd do that filtered link to a shared view, and provide another button within that shared view that would open a URL to the specific record so that the users could make the edits immediately.  It's reasonably close to your desired workflow, only that a new tab would open I guess

(Reading your off topic rant made me smile; I feel your pain.  Wish I could do something besides empathize hah)

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hm, so the end goal is to provide the user with access to a Gantt view where they would be able to manipulate the filters (including undoing the filters the page loaded up with), as well as being able to update the data within the table itself?

If so, I think the only way to do that would be by creating one view per project I'm afraid which I think is what yo'ure trying to avoid

I think if I were you I'd do that filtered link to a shared view, and provide another button within that shared view that would open a URL to the specific record so that the users could make the edits immediately.  It's reasonably close to your desired workflow, only that a new tab would open I guess

(Reading your off topic rant made me smile; I feel your pain.  Wish I could do something besides empathize hah)

Hi Adam, 

Thanks, I think you pointed me to the best workaround for the moment, until Interface gets an upgrade to include Gantt views! 

I'm creating a "project onboarding" Interface to standardize our company's workflow for initiating new projects. Once a project is created via a form, a variety of linked records are created based on project type. (Right now this is done by copy/pasting from templates but my next task is to figure out how to automate this...). Once the "Activity" template linked records are pasted and then customized in a Grid view, I like to switch to a Gantt view to adjust durations and predecessor/successor relationships. I've found the manipulation tools in Gantt view are the fastest way to do that. 

For now, I'm just going to add a "go to external URL" button that will open a generic Gantt view in a new tab. Users will have to manually enter the filter condition for the project they are working on, but that's no different than having to reenter the filter condition every time they switch between pages in an interface (unfortunately!).

I've been spending a lot of time on the community forums as I run into challenges building this workflow, and I've read a lot of your very helpful solutions on a variety of topics! Thanks for being such a rockstar contributor here!

Ha I'm glad you've found my posts useful! 

> Once a project is created via a form, a variety of linked records are created based on project type. (Right now this is done by copy/pasting from templates but my next task is to figure out how to automate this...).

I recommend you check out repeating groups functionality as that seems like it would do what you need here.  You'd make an automation that would trigger when the "Project Type" field was filled and do a "Find Record" action looking for all the records for that project type from your templates, then you'd add a repeating group with a "Create record" action to create those template records for this new project

Here's a base that's set up with the repeating groups functionality that does this

thank you!!!!!  I saw the announcement when the repeating groups functionality was rolled out, but as a relative newbie to automation, I figured it was above my level and just ignored it. But it looks like by far the easiest way to do what I need to do, so I'll dig in!