cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebal_Maysaud
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there,

This is my first time on this forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a slightly niche issue that I’m hoping is possible. At first I thought this might need the scripting block, but I’m wondering if this can be done with an extremely complex formula.

I’m doing a database of musical pieces for a symphony orchestra. They have a lot of instruments so we use a shorthand. This shorthand always has the same number of characters where we simply list the number of instruments in score order. Here’s an example.

2222-4321-13-11-1

Translates to:
2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 3 trumpets, 2 trombones, tuba, timpani, 3 percussion, piano, harp, and strings

Other instruments we add on in the end in parenthesis i.e. (+contrabassoon, +eng horn).

I developed it this way so that it might be easy for what I’d like to do, which is to translate the shorthand into longhand since the longhand form is what’s getting copy/pasted into our website. We can add extra instruments in parenthesis manually afterwards.

Ideally, we’d like to include plural, no number on the singular, and exclude any instruments with a zero, (i.e. 0212 for the first four would read "2 oboes, clarinet, 2 bassoons).

But even if we can do something where we somehow concatenate((character 1), “flute”) ect. for every instrument that itself would still be a huge help.

Anyone know if this is possible in the formulas? Or perhaps this requires the scripting block?

0 Replies 0