595 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
perfect
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I create a form (interface in Airtable) to collect information from user and store in "Table A". Output fields include "Age", "Location", "Claim", "Special", Compo". 

I have another "Table B" to have above 5 fields and addtional "diagnosis value" field. Table B is combination of  different conditions of "Age", "Location", "Claim", "Special", Compo" and output of "diagnosis value". 

My question is how to set up formula to link up Table A and Table B which can filter the result of "diagnosis value" according to User input in Table A under different combination of "Age", "Location", "Claim", "Special", Compo".

If you have any idea, pls. share your thought. Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Linked record fields can not be dynamically filtered in Airtable, although Airtable has told us that they will be bringing this feature to the product very soon.

In the meantime, you would need to turn to external apps to get this feature.

There are 2 primary apps that provide this feature:

1. Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable. Fillout is an advanced form replacement for Airtable that offers dozens of features that Airtable’s native forms don’t offer, including dynamic linked record filters, the ability to update Airtable records from a form, the ability to accept payments on forms, the ability to have multi-page forms with conditional paths, the ability to create brand new linked records on a form, the ability to display Airtable lookup fields & Airtable rollup fields & formulas & attachments on forms, visually displaying as many fields as you want to see in a linked record selection list (including attachment fields), limiting the number of linked records that can be chosen, and much more.

I give a brief demonstration of Fillout on this Airtable podcast episode.

2. Noloco’s advanced interfaces for Airtable. Noloco is a full-blown front-end replacement for Airtable that can act as both a customer portal and an advanced interface for Airtable.

The CEO of Noloco gave a demonstration of his product on this Airtable podcast episode.

I also give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this Airtable podcast episode.

And I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld

airtable #on2air #builtonair 10/17/2023 - BuiltOnAir Live Podcast Full Show - S16-E03 ___________________________ The BuiltOnAir podcast is a live weekly show highlighting everything happening in the Airtable universe. Check us out at BuiltOnAir.com/join. Join our community, join our Slack ...
airtable #on2air #builtonair 1/30/2024 - BuiltOnAir Live Podcast Full Show - S17-E04 ___________________________ The BuiltOnAir podcast is a live weekly show highlighting everything happening in the Airtable universe. Check us out at BuiltOnAir.com/join. Join our community, join our Slack channel

Hmm, I think you'll need an automation for this.  You could try:
1. Create an automation that triggers whenever a form gets submitted
2. Have a "Find Record" step that will look for records in Table B that have the same "Age", "Location", "Claim", "Special" and "Compo" values
3. Have an "Update Record" step that will update the triggering record by linking it to the record they found in Table B

I'm not quite sure what you want the end result to be actually.  If you don't want it to link, you could just add a text field in Table A, and then update that field with the "Diagnosis" value from the found record in Table B too

lauminja

Hey, one thing to note - external users (non-collaborators on your plan) can't see your interfaces so don't rely on that. 

+1 TheTimeSavings - can you explain more what you're trying to achieve? In steps? 

1. External user fills form with information, data ends in Table A
2. There is another pre-set table B that is a list of 'diagnosis values' based on age, location, etc.. 
3. you need Airtable to 'look' at the answers in Table A and tell you which bracket the person falls into based on Table B? 

perfect

@TheTimeSavingCo Thanks for your advice. I tried automation (same steps as above) but failed to do it. 

@lauminja , Yes, your steps 1, 2 & 3 are correct. I hope the answer of "people" will be updated into record of Table A. 

Ah, what issues did you face? 

If you could provide access to the base where you set up the automation I can take a look at it for you as well