Help

Take data in one table from multiple fields and pull into one field in another table

Topic Labels: Formulas
746 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Hosking
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi… I understand spreadsheets but am new to databases.

I have Base A that contains data about PhD students. The first field is Surname/FirstName. The base holds around 160 fields including 3 separate fields for 1) Principal Supervisor; 2) Associate Supervisor #1; 3) Associate Supervisor #2.

I have a second Base that contains data about the Supervisors. I would like to create a field in this 2nd base that pulls the Surname/FirstName of every student from Base A where the supervisors name is present in Principal Supervisor; Associate Supervisor #1 or Associate Supervisor #2.

Is this possible? In excel I think I would do this with an IF - VLOOKUP formula but I can’t see how to reference the other table.

3 Replies 3

Hi @Richard_Hosking,

Welcome to Airtable Community ! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

As of now there is no way to link between different bases. It would be better to have it both in same Base but different tables. You can then use the Lookup option. However, to do so, you have to make the Supervisors a linked field in the other table.

BR,
Mo.

Richard_Hosking
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you for the quick reply. Being a ‘newbie’ I incorrectly described these as being in different ‘bases’ when I should have said they were in different tables. I am still working out how to do the linking.

Does this mean that once linked and through using a Lookup formula that I will be able to pull every instance of the Surname/FirstName, where there is data in any of the other 3 fields I have described in table one, into the designated field in table two?

Yes that is right , try it