585 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mws
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am building a custom extension which will send data from Airtable to a third party API (the user will provide their API key to this API). This third party API will then send updates to the base, which will update a given record. I cannot find any solid example of how to create a custom extension that can update a base async (this API runs twice a day) rather than when a button is clicked or another action performed by the user. I know I can use an Automation to trigger the response to the incoming webhook, but I want it to all be bundled within the extension. Is there no way to do this without having the extension and automation separate?

2 Replies 2

A custom extension cannot accept incoming webhooks. A custom extension also only run when its dashboard is open. 

Are you building this just for yourself or do you want to turn this into a product?

Can you set up your third party service to use the Airtable web API to update the base, instead of an incoming webhook?

Steve_Haysom
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

It would be better to use google apps script, you can publish web apps that respond to get and post requests and also create scripts that run on a schedule.