17515 12
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roseann_Marulli
5 - Automation Enthusiast

We have a field for Calendar Date. Is there a way to have the day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, etc.) that corresponds to that calendar date autopopulate in another field?

12 Replies 12
Alex_Wolfe
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

The formula below should work (I’m using it currently):

DATETIME_FORMAT({INSERT YOUR DATE FIELD NAME HERE},‘dddd’)

Let me know if not!

Hmm, I did something wrong…

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 11.26.21 AM.png

Hmm, I just retested this in my base and it worked. Try reloading the base or creating a new formula field from scratch and calling it something different (you can change the name later) and see if either of those things help.

If not, maybe contact support@airtable.com because I’m not sure why it’s not working for you.

Example of my most recent test formula vs. yours:
DATETIME_FORMAT({Day},‘dddd’)
DATETIME_FORMAT({Date},‘dddd’)

Thanks! I definitely will.

Replace the ‘curly quotes’ (like the ones around the words ‘curly quotes’) with straight quotes (’''’) — just overtype them. You presumably copy-and-pasted the formula from this forum, and the forum software prettifies quotation marks.

Or copy and paste the following, which has been formatted to include the correct form of quote:

DATETIME_FORMAT({Date},'dddd')

That did it! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! It was driving me crazy, lol. Such an easy fix, yes!!

Oh wow good to know! Of course it was something so small… :grinning_face_with_sweat:

I love an easy fix!! :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

You can put the forum into code mode three different ways; text displayed as ‘code’ doesn’t have ‘prettified’ quotes.

1. To tag a word or a phrase, precede and follow it with a back-tick character (’`’). Doing so will prevent the conversion of straight quotes into 'curly quotes'. (On US keyboards, the back-tick is to the left of the [!/1] key; it’s the unshifted tilde (’~’). On international keyboards it is known as the grave accent and is often found to the left of the Return key. In such cases it’s usually a dead key, so to enter it as a character one uses the two-stroke sequence of ` + Spacebar.)

2. An entire line of text can be flagged as code by

preceding it with 4 space characters. (Unless it also needs to be
    indented, like these examples; in that case it takes 7 spaces.)
    Like all code-format methods, it disables 'curly quotes'.

3. Longer code segments can be preceded and followed by a line containing 3 back-ticks by themselves — like so: ```

Code tagged in such a manner
    also retains indentation
        and is
    formatted in such a way as to
        highlight 'language features'
Orhan_Baran

hey everybody, did you guys ever see something like this before? if yes, what could be the reason. all the events are created by someone else except the one shows the same date with a different day. would appreciate if anyone can help me outairtableSS2 airtableSS1

Welcome to the Airtable community.

When you use DATETIME_FORMAT, the formula calculates the date based on GMT, unless you include the SET_TIMEZONE. When it is 5pm where you live, it is midnight GMT.

Here is an example. The function is documented in the formula field reference, and the available time zones are documented here.

DATETIME_FORMAT(SET_TIMEZONE({Date}, 'America/Los_Angeles'), 'dddd')

great! thank you for a straightaway answer!