542 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Savannah_Olsen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am very new to Airtable and struggling with one piece of the puzzle. I’ve read a lot of posts and articles but can’t seem to get this relatively simple thing working. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious.

I am trying to use Airtable to house information for my meal planning and shopping. I have three tables.
1-Dishes/Recipes (Where all of my recipes are stored, tagged by meal and such).
2-Ingredients (A list of pretty much every possible ingredient).
3-Menu (A menu of what I am eating for which meal on which day).

All of these are working as I want. When I add a new dish, I can add an ingredient from the list. The menu pulls information such as which meal of the day a dish belongs to when I add an item. All great.

The struggle is that I want one more table for a grocery list. I can manually type each ingredient onto the list, but I was hoping for more automation than that.

I want it so that the Grocery List table adds a record when a record is added to the menu, pulls the ingredients for that dish, and pulls the ingredient category for each ingredient. Automation isn’t giving me what I need. Any ideas?

Each table shown above.

As you can see in this final screenshot, if I click a record from the menu, it shows me the dish and all of the information I need: Each ingredient and those ingredients’ respective categories. I just need that data to populate in a new table.

1 Reply 1
Noor
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi @Savannah_Olsen
Yes you can solve this problem with automation script.
Where the condition will be as you said create new record in “Menu” table and then you run a automation to create new record on your “Grocery List” table.
You can do it without automation if you have one items per meal but as you have multiple items in one meal and airtable don’t have any looping system in automation so you need to use custom script.
In that script you will get the list of Ingredient from the meal and create the lines on “Grocery List”

Thanks
Noor