cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Loren_M
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey everyone,

I am trying to work this out, maybe someone can offer some expert advice?

In one table, I have all people who are related to our organization.

One way that we define who they are is by establishing the relationship between two (or more) people. We identify “Child, Spouse, Parent, and Sibling” as members who you can identify or link to directly.

Here is the issue though, and I will give it in an example.

E.G. We are recording a new student, and in the “Parents” the student goes to list his parents. But, the student cannot find their parents because they are not in our records at all. If we stopped and created a new record for the parents, then we have a problem of recording “Spouses” and “Children” at the time of creation of the record. Other programs we’ve used have allowed us to add a similar record within the creation of another record and creates the link immediately.

My problem is feeling cyclical and I can’t find a solution, any help?

2 Replies 2
ripwit
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I do something similar by having an intermediate table to identify the relationships between people (and organizations). Using an intermediate relationship table also allows individuals to participate in multiple relationships, even with each other.

Person <–> Person_Person <–> Person

The Person_Person table hold references to the appropriate Person table. You can put a lot of important information in the relationship tables such as start and end date.

I don’t understand what you mean. I create a lot of new records from the Linked Record field itself. I have an Events table, and when creating one, I can create the Venue or the Contact if they don’t exist.