1118 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timothy_Keitt
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I decided at one point to create an extra table to keep some additional records related to another table. What I did is to create a new table and add a column linking to the original table. So there is supposed to be a 1-1 relationship between the rows. Unfortunately, this has not worked out because when I update the main table, the linked table does not get updated. So I want to merge the data from the extra table back into the main table. That is easy to do outside of airtable because it is a simple table join. I did it in R in a few minutes. However, I am not sure about loading the merged table back into airtable as I think it will lose all the links to other table I setup.

The main table looks like:

ID (a formula), Year, Semester, Course, ...

The extra table looks the same but beyond the first few columns (which together uniquely determine the row), it contains different data, e.g., enrollments, etc.

Is there a way inside of airtable to merge the columns from the second table into the main table? I would then delete the second table. I have had quite bad experiences with cutting-and-pasting in airtable because it leads to maximum astonishment (magically adding columns to the destination table and updating entries in linked tables not part of the cut-and-paste), so I would like to avoid that. 

If I do the table join outside of airtable, can I import the result and somehow make the links to other tables work?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Meredith_Scrog1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Could you create lookup fields for the fields that you want to bring over, then duplicate the field and convert it to be the correct field type? 

If you import the result with the new table, you should be able to go back and re-link them by just copying/pasting but I understand your hesitance on it. I would just make sure you have something you can go back and match on. 

Also, when you say your linked table is not updating, what do you mean? Your set-up sounds like it should be working properly. I apologize if I didn't fully understand your issue/questions!

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Meredith_Scrog1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Could you create lookup fields for the fields that you want to bring over, then duplicate the field and convert it to be the correct field type? 

If you import the result with the new table, you should be able to go back and re-link them by just copying/pasting but I understand your hesitance on it. I would just make sure you have something you can go back and match on. 

Also, when you say your linked table is not updating, what do you mean? Your set-up sounds like it should be working properly. I apologize if I didn't fully understand your issue/questions!

Yes -- I should have waited to post. I am now importing the merged CSV and it is easy to edit the columns to recreate the links to other tables.