2984 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan_Kirsh
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi there, I run a charity with volunteers who help feed and medicate local street dogs in Thailand. I am trying to create a database to keep track of their medical expenses. There are two types of expenses at the vet: medicine and vet fees. I’ve created an “Order” table, which connects to two respective “Line Item” tables (medicine & vet fees).

In main grid view, the Order table works as expected. For example, I can create a new order, then add line items for medicine and or vet fees. Then those line items are rolled up and gives a grand total.

The problem is in using the Form view on the Orders table: I can add existing records, but cannot create new ones, which is necessary. I really would like to use Form view so that my volunteers can enter data easily without really having to get involved with the grid view.

Also, it would be really useful if the form could display calculated fields. This could show calculations like Grand Total. These calculated fields simply do not appear at all.

Below is a read-only access link to my database. Feel free to copy the data into your own test instance so you may better understand my problem.

https://airtable.com/shrVRrZzZMl9N5coX

Thanks so much to whoever can help! The street dogs thank you too!

Evan

4 Replies 4

Hi

I’ve had a look at your base and I see exactly what you mean. I have asked elsewhere for customisable for - for both external use and use in the app as well. For your use case and many others you really need a subform capability with a capability to add new records either in line or perhaps via a popup form.

By the way, if you share a base as you did, you should be aware that it is possible for a person to simply copy it entirely and then use it fully in their own environment. In this example there is no issue but people should be aware that this is possible from a data security perspective.

Thank you for the quick reply Julian. Yes, perhaps a subform is the answer, not too sure. All I know is that I can add a new record in Grid view, but not Form view. It would be nice to have more flexibility, or perhaps there’s a workaround way…?

Also, thanks for the heads up on the data copying. In my case, I am not using any sensitive data unless someone wants to steal the medical records for homeless dogs in Thailand! haha. And if someone wants to “fork” my database, why not, I would be flattered. But your warning is warranted for anyone using data of any private nature, for sure.

John_Mazzarella
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I continue to run into this same issue, I really wish we had this ability.

I have a table of clients, and a table of groups. When adding a new client from form view, I can select from existing groups to associate the client with, but not create a new group. I’m hoping my base will be adopted by my team, but this problem makes the process more time consuming, which means people will be less likely to use it. :worried:

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We built solutions to both of these problems. Our Advanced Form extension allows you to:

1. Create new linked records on the form.
  1. Show formula fields on the form.