Help

What's the best practice to design a new column/cell based on other columns?

1125 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr_Kav
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all,

First, I want to thank you for your help with various issues. Some of these issues got resolved by only reading, others resolved by opening new threads like this one.

I wasn’t sure if this issue related to the Automation forum, or the Formula forum - so I thought it would be best to use a general forum. Feel free to change its location as you wish!

I need your help with choosing the best method to design a new field based on other fields.
This process needs to be done on more than one view in the same table, for different clients.
On each table, I want to create a new column that contains data from 2 different columns and convert data for the third one.

Meaning:

Let’s say I have a column named ‘Fup’ and contains multiple tags (fup1, fup1b, fup3, fup32, fup21c, etc.)
I have another column named “User” and another column named “Receiver Name”.

I want to create a new column, let’s call it “Fup text” with a long text based on the above columns.

Example:

Fup column: fup2
User column: Steve
Receiver Name: Dan

fup2 text:
Hi {Receiver.First.Name},

I just wanted to say hi and check if you saw my last message.

Regards,
{User.Name}

Fup text column will be:

Hi Dan,

I just wanted to say hi and check if you saw my last message.

Regards,
Steve

What’s the best practice to implement the above logic, while having many follow-ups versions, and many views for different clients?
I’ve tried using the SUBSTITUTE formula, but I think it’s not the best fit for this problem, as it’s so difficult to implement a nested and complicated one.
Also, I’ve tried using automation, but I have identical pitches for different clients (let’s say fup2 are on Google and also on Amazon)

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks again!

1 Reply 1
Mr_Kav

Bumping the thread with an example of a given table with the fields and the outcome. Maybe it’ll help.
I tried to embed it here, but it didn’t work so here’s a link to the table:

The idea is that the Fup text will be only visible on the code itself. Then, it’ll take the fup tag value and print accordingly the relevant Fup text.
Phase 2 will be changing {First.Name} to the relevant record first name, and {User.Name} to the relevant user name.

Again, any help would be great!