Automation Question? I am trying to create a trigger...running into a snag

I want to be able create an automation where when the “Scheduled Pick Up” field is input with a date then it would auto create in the Table section for a scheduled event to show?

Might be a calendar interaction? Some guidance would be appreciated.

Welcome to the community, @Alex_Xu! :smiley: I’m not sure that I clearly understand your situation. What I’m getting so far is that you want to automatically calculate a date based on other settings for a particular record (most likely one or more other dates). Is that correct? If so, then an automation isn’t necessary. All you need is a formula to set the scheduled pickup date X number of days/weeks before another date. Does that sound like it would meet your needs?

Thank you!! My question is…when we put a “date” we want to trigger a creation of the “meeting” set in the calendar. The screenshots above are just an example

@Justin_Barrett

Using the example above. The first screenshot is a customer record. When we put a scheduled pick up date we want a “meeting” or “event” to generate so when we look at the calendar portion it will coorelate to that customer record.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense (sorry for the delay; I’ve had to cut way back on my time in here, plus I took the weekend off).

That could be done via an automation if your base is in a Pro-plan workspace or higher. This would need to be triggered by a record entering a view. However, if the view filter is simply looking for records that have a date, it might trigger the moment you begin editing the date, which would be bad. There needs to be a delay of some kind set up so that it triggers a few minutes after the date has been edited. I haven’t tested this setup specifically, but it’s a variation of a setup that I have tested, so I’m confident that it will work.

Add a Last updated time field named something like {Pickup Updated} that only tracks changes to that {Scheduled Pick Up} date field. Add a formula field named {Pickup Update Delay} that takes the date from the Last updated time field and adds 5 minutes to it. Add another formula field named {Pickup Trigger} that compares that delayed time against NOW(), and outputs a 1 when NOW() is later.

Make a new view that only shows records where that formula outputs a 1, and use that to trigger an automation. In theory, this will trigger the automation no sooner than 5 minutes after that {Scheduled Pick Up} date is edited. The automation will create a new record on your calendar table, linking to the triggering customer’s record via its ID (pulled from the trigger step) and copying the date you chose.

I assume after I create a Trigger, the “Action” would be running a script with the above logic?

This could be done via a script, but could also be done with other actions:

• Create record action to make the new record on the calendar table
  • Update record action to update this new record to 1) add a link to the triggering record and 2) insert the selected date. Both of those data items—the triggering record ID and the selected date—should be available from the trigger step.

This topic was solved and automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.