7696 12
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmeriCorps_Volu
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey all! I have recently started using Airtable and I have been searching for an answer to this question for too long.
I am attempting to track volunteer hours. I have a form that people will complete every time they have a “shift”. This form asks people when they came in and when they left. I want to create a formula that finds the difference of the End time and the Start time in order to find the total time of their shift.
I have read through several ask the community questions similar to this and tried several formulas; including DATETIME_DIFF. However, nothing seems to be working.
Please help! Thanks in advance.
image.png
image.png

12 Replies 12
AmeriCorps_Volu
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am at the point of almost leaving a question in the form that asks for the volunteer to put the duration of their shift. However, I would much rather have airtable do so automatically.

You just need to use commas to separate the parameters you pass into the DATETIME_DIFF() function:

DATETIME_DIFF(
   {End Time},
   {Start Time},
   'hours'
)

It’s only giving me -0, I’m not sure why

Nevermind! I used ‘minutes’ instead of hours & it worked! Thank you!!

So you should get hours * 60, and not -0 :thinking:

I had used this formula: 05%20PM And it seemed to be working fine, but now it’s giving me negative results. Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 3.30.47 PM.png
So I tried the ‘hours’ * 60 and it gave me an error. 16%20PM Any clue what am I doing wrong?

Yes, you have those Starts after the corresponding Ends, instead of before (they maybe are swapped).

What I meant with ‘hours * 60’ was that, if you expect for instance to get a 6 because your want to get hours, when you specify minutes, the number should be 360, what is 6 multiplied by 60.

SO swapping just swapped which records came out positive/negative. 60 & 360 both gave me errors.

Okay I didn’t realize ‘*360’ had to be written with a comma. So I put the comma & the negatives do not change…