cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Niko_Gomez1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello!

I am looking to create a formula where the autonumber resets based on the category code selected.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 3.42.43 PM

1. Each product has an Item Number which is created using autonumber.
  2. I used another tab to create category codes for the prefix of the floor plan ID

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 3.47.36 PM

1. I create a formula that adds the prefx and item number to create Floor Plan ID

Issue

The autonumber cannot be reset contingent on the category code. The autonumber is unique to each row created.

End Result

I would like to have a way to be able to create codes that have the number after the prefix under Floor Plan ID show an autonumber based on the amount of items under that category.

IE:

it would be AC-1 opposed to AC-2 ( because there is only 1 item with the category code AC so far)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Replies 3

@Kamille_Parks discusses how to do this at length in this BuiltOnAir podcast:

@ScottWorld beat me to it!

The episode goes over two approaches, the first approach is likely the one you would go with; its less complicated and just requires a pretty straight-forward Automation. The use case the episode was based on came from this similar thread, wherein I wrote out the instructions:

With this follow-up advice (which is also pointed out in the podcast episode linked above):

Niko_Gomez1

Thank you both!, not on the pro plan but can get most of this accomplished.