3244 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Louie_Shearon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I work for a company that has been tracking and storing different data points on Airtable for the past few years. They wish for me to design a data visualization app that is both interactive and responsive. The basics of the app are to allow users on their website to select different types of search parameters and display specific results based on these parameters. This seems like a difficult task due to the fact that Airtable has no SQL capabilities and with all of their data kept on Airtable, I’m not sure how I would go about designing this web-based app. Any thoughts that could help me?

Note: It is crucially important that any information added to their Airtable database will automatically be accessible through the data visualization app, without any additions being made to the back end of the application.

3 Replies 3

Airtable has a Rest API that you can use to query records. You just need to pass user input into API calls, or else make a bulk API call into a front-end framework (like React or Angular) and manipulate it in a front-end application.

You can see the specific API for your client’s base by clicking the “Help” icon inside the base and clicking the “API documentation” option.

Further to Jeremy’s reply. Retrieving data directly from the API into your web-based app can be a bit slow if you have a lot of data. For this reason, I have scripts that download the data from Airtable into an SQL database which is used as the back end for my data viz app (built in Plotly Dash). The flipside of this is that the data will not update instantaneously in the data viz app when it is changed in Airtable.

Sam_Wood
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey I built ReportBin to generate advanced reports for AirTable. Data visualization looks like an excellent use case for ReportBin, may I contact you to learn more about your needs?