Flattening Records

When I have multiple records linked to one row of data in a table, is it possible to flatten or split the records?

E.g. If I have Table 1: Record A and I create Table 2: Record B and Record C. If I then create a linked field in Table 1 to Table 2 and link Record B and Record C.

I can see Table 1: Record A, with B and C in the linked field, on the one row.

Is there any way to see 2 rows? E.g Row 1: Table 1: Record A linked to Record B and then Row 2: Table 1: Record A linked to Record C?

This is a major requirement for our usage. I’m not a developer, so any code-less solutions would be great! Thanks.

Hi @Daniel_Marshall, and welcome to the community!

Ergo, given any specific record selected in Table 1, show me all the rows in the linked Table 2 that it references, right?

I don’t believe there is a way to visualize this in the UI. This is a typical one-to-many relationship and we are at the mercy of the UI I’m afraid.

Ideally, you want to see the collection of related [child]rows in context to the parent row. Indeed, you should not only be able to see these related rows, you should be able to edit parent and children in a unified view.

This is technically possible with a script block and a button field that would call the script which would locate the records and display all or selected fields in a block on the right like this. What I’m showing below is a search engine that I created that given a specific keyword in the parent table, show all records where that word appears in related tables. This is functionally equivalent - parent rows on the left, and related rows in the block area.

This topic was solved and automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.