cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luke_Ferris
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi everyone,

I’m a big fan of Airtable, but its lack of a spelling/grammar checker is causing me some grief.

Grammarly (Chrome extension) would seem to be the perfect answer. However, it doesn’t work. At all.

This is weird because it works well on other sites with text input fields - including, incidentally this community site (I can see Grammarly flagging errors in this as I type :slightly_smiling_face: ).

Does anyone know a way of getting Grammarly to work on Airtable Grid view fields or indeed another solution?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Luke_Ferris,

Grammarly doesn’t currently work within Airtable. I can pass along some feedback about this to our product team though!

See Solution in Thread

8 Replies 8

Welcome to the community, @Luke_Ferris! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: I’ve never used Grammarly before now, but I signed up for the free account and can only confirm what you’re seeing. Sadly Grammarly doesn’t provide much in the way of options or controls over how it works (on any site, not just Airtable). Maybe more can be done with a paid account, but I’m not going to pay just to test it.

Your best option is to contact Airtable support directly to see if it’s possible to make Airtable more Grammarly-friendly, though I have my doubts that they’re going to change much in how Airtable operates just for a single browser plugin.

As a side note, I’m going to move this thread to a more appropriate category, as “Custom Blocks Beta” isn’t the best fit. :slightly_smiling_face:

On a side note, I’ve only seen Grammarly pop up on one site I’ve used so far. You mentioned that it’s working for you here in the community, but for me it’s not.

Luke_Ferris
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks, Justin! If it’s working you should see a little green icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the text-box (easy to miss). It will also start underlining incorrectly spelt words… it’s quite cool.

The weird thing is I think it’s meant to work with any text box… which implies that maybe there’s something different about the Airtable text boxes.

I don’t suppose you’ve come across another spell checking solution that will work with Airtable? I’m not tied to Grammarly…

Luke

As I mentioned before, I only saw it appear right away on one site that I use (Evernote), with nothing showing up here. After seeing the green badge in Evernote, I began looking for it specifically on other sites, but it’s been largely absent.

A few seconds ago, though, I did manage to get it to appear here in the community, but only after taking the comment editing dialog full-screen, which only happens on very rare occasions these days. When the comment editor is in its default adjustable-size mode at the bottom of the window, Grammarly is sometimes there, sometimes not.

Perhaps that’s correct. I suspect the same could be said for the community. Something about the styling of text fields on certain websites may throw Grammarly for a loop.

Frankly, I’ve never searched for one. I’m pretty picky about spelling on my own, so the default spell-checking offered by macOS has been more than sufficient for my needs for a good while now.

Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Luke_Ferris,

Grammarly doesn’t currently work within Airtable. I can pass along some feedback about this to our product team though!

Hi Jason, it's been 3 years since this comment but Grammarly still doesn't work. Any update from the team on when you guys will fix it? Or else include your custom spell check? It's quite frustrating 

Daria
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

What happens now is that Grammarly suggests improvements, but the moment you click "accept" the suggestion - nothing happens. so You still have to retype manually, The screenshot is attached.

emcon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on this problem. would love a solution