8181 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neal_Sawhney1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have several helper tables for linking and allowing users to choose from sets of pre-defined values. They do not need to be directly accessed and can confuse end users. I would like to find a way for them to be hidden. I found an old thread about this that is marked as solved, but as far as I can tell, it hasn’t been solved.

Some options that could work:

1. Allow these tables to move to a separate Base that can be accessed from the Base the consultants interact with, meaning allow Bases to access data across other Bases in the workspace. This way I could group the tables into functional and boilerplate Bases.

2. Access to a show/hide UX in the Base with the tables listed and a toggle switch for visibility. Off state would hide the tab.

3. System or even a hack that allows for custom CSS. Unfortunately the tabs do not have ids, but I may still be able to hack something with nth child.

Are any of these available? Is there another solution? If not, can one be rolled out?

Thank you,
Neal

5 Replies 5

Welcome to the Community, Neal!

Terrific question but as far as I am aware, this cannot be done in any of the excellent ways you suggest. Links between bases aren’t supported (see here). I’d love to have this done right in the base – an option to toggle visibility of table tabs precisely as we can toggle visibility of fields in a view. I’d hate to have to find my old books on CSS and solve the problem that way, but I’d do it – especially if custom CSS also meant that I could tweak the LOOK of my bases. (You can do this sort of thing in the secure email service ProtonMail.)

:frowning:

My solution is to try to organize the tabs. I do something similar to organize views – i.e. I create empty views and give them names that make them useful as separators.

William

(organizing table tabs:)

(and for organizing views:)

Heather_Hale
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

SOLUTION: You CAN HIDE TABLES. 😉

You just go to the right drop down menu on the table tab and click Hide Table 😉 

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 5.27.20 PM.png

Great! 

Solved! 😉 

Now... how do you UNhide that hidden table?!

None of the instructions tell you WHERE or HOW to click UNhide table! 

Heather_Hale
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Ah! I found it/figured it out!! 😉 

In the base, there will be a NEW TABLE TAB 😉 that reveals how many tables are hidden! 😉 

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 5.34.52 PM.png

 Click the drop down arrow (the  icon) and it reveals "Table is hidden from navigation" with a little crossed out eyeball:

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 5.35.50 PM.png

Click on the eyeball icon on the far right 😉 and there ya go! 😉 Presto! Hidden table is back visible/UNhidden again! 

Yay! 

😉 

DaveWalsh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Does hiding a table hide it for all users, or just for my and my navigation?

Heather_Hale
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hey @DaveWalsh, No. It does NOT hide it for all users. I double-checked: I signed out as me and had someone else sign in to contrast-test our views. The navigation is the same for you as it is for them. Apparently it's really just a viewing convenience: it isn't truly "hidden" - it's just out of the way. Other user(s) will see a tab that says "Hidden Table(s)" which they can UNhide  if they want to.