3231 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaron_Claessens
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is there a way to conditionally format text ? I have metrics that I want to report on, each has a field that show the status “Good” “Warn” “Poor” … it would be great to color the field on the report based on this.

Related but now … How do I get a chart in the page layout? Its a count of the states of the projects … 3 closed, 4 planning, 2 build, etc …

4 Replies 4

Conditional coloring of individual field values isn’t possible, but a common workaround is to use colored emojis supplementing the text. For example:

:white_check_mark: Good
:warning: Warn
:stop_sign: Poor

…or drop the text entirely…

:white_check_mark:
:warning:
:stop_sign:

I’ll let someone else address the chart issue, as I’m on the free account and don’t have access to blocks.

Thanks that worked. I had issues with scaling items from a pic list, so I didn’t try this … the scale with the font size should someone else care later.

You can fake conditional formatting in Page Designer through the use of layers: To do so, you define a formula field for each possible status and then ‘stack’ them, with the color of each individual field configured appropriately. For instance, if your [actual] status field is called {Status}, and it has the possible values of 'Good', 'Warn', and 'Poor', your first conditional status field would be {GoodStatus}, with the formula IF({Status}='Good',{Status}). Your other two conditional fields would be configured similarly.

Finally, {GoodStatus}, {WarnStatus}, and {PoorStatus} would be set to the same dimensions and have the same X/Y origin — but {GoodStatus} would have a green text color, while {WarnStatus}'s would be yellow and {PoorStatus}'s red. Since two of the three conditional status fields in a record would be empty, only the valid, color-coded status is visible. To display the status of multiple records, you’d concatenate all instances of each conditional status fields into a single field, using the newline character ('\n') as separator, and then layer the concatenated fields, colored appropriately. The process is both easier and more annoyingly time-consuming than it sounds — but with it one can do some pretty amazing things.

I’ve published several example bases demonstrating this technique. Probably the best introduction is item 5 from this reply; it includes a couple of sample Page Designer images, along with links to the bases used to generate them.

Thanks! I’ll keep this in mind as I chew on this … my team is just starting to dig in and see what we want to do.