Parent Child tree hierarchy

Hi… I’m looking for a scripting solution that lets me auto-populate a field with a parent and child relationship.
Eg -
Column 1 has the children
Column 2 has the parent of the child

I’m wondering if I can write a script that can populate a new column with the tree hierarchy like this -

wco:WC Interface → wco:Area → wco:Block → wco:Image Card → wco:Hero Image Card

I have looked at a solution posted by joao_melo which works.
But i’m wondering if this is doable in a script?

Welcome back to the community, @Anirudh_Subramaniam! :smiley: This is definitely doable via a script. In fact, I wrote a script a while ago that does this very thing. I thought that I’d shared it in the community already, but I can’t find it via a search. It needs a few quick updates to bring it up to spec, so I’ll reply in a few minutes once it’s ready.

1 Like

Here’s a link to the script. It uses the script settings features so you don’t have to mess with the code itself to set it up before running it.

Here’s a sample of the output (the {Label} field):

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 10.50.11 AM

You can pick any separator that you want, and also build labels based on hierarchy depth instead of the record name:

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 10.51.20 AM

Thanks @Justin_Barrett. This looks amazing. I tried running it but I am getting the following error -

ERROR
Error: No field matching “Parent” found in table “Class”
at query.records.filter.record on line 63
at parse on line 62
at main on line 92

@Justin_Barrett - Nevermind. I fixed it… the code had the “Parent” field had coded. I changed it to linkfield and it worked. Thank you so much!

Sorry about that. I was in too much of a hurry and forgot about that one hard-coded field name. I changed it in the gist linked above, so anyone else grabbing it will be good to go.

This topic was solved and automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.