Introducing: Mobile Interfaces on iPhone

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patti_Lo
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hello everyone! I’m Patti, a Product Designer at Airtable and I’m excited to share Mobile Interfaces are now available to use on your iPhone!

Whether you're commuting, away from your desk, or simply prefer using your phone, you can now effortlessly view and manage interfaces from the convenience of the Airtable app. All you have to do is download the latest version of the Airtable iOS app.

Below are some key functionalities you’ll see on mobile:

Easily navigate to your interfaces directly from the Airtable app home screen or from links in emails and notifications.

mobile-interfaces-nav.pngCut through the noise and view full-screen pages of List, Gallery, Calendar, or Kanban layouts. Not only that, you’ll also be able to search and filter records using the tab or dropdown filter elements.

mobile-interfaces-views.png

Make edits to field data, view and add comments, and take most button actions on a record.

mobile-interfaces-record.png

Add new records through a form.

mobile-interfaces-form.png

As you use the new mobile experience, please share your thoughts with us—we value your feedback as we continue to improve and develop more features and layouts. We’re looking forward to hearing what you think! Again, just make sure you have the most updated version of the app

Last but not least, we did not forget about all our amazing Android users! Stay tuned for an update in the near future.

47 Comments
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Thanks for this release!

I was able to experiment with this a little bit on my phone.

A few questions...

I have the most recent version of the Airtable app installed on my iPad, but I don't see interfaces there. Is this a phone only release? What about mobile tablets?

On my iPhone, can I get to an interface from the base itself, or only from the home screen?

For now, on the home screen of the app, is looking at the small text "interface" or "base" the best way to tell if an icon is for a base versus an interface? (Eventually, I expect there will be better methods.)

Are the full-screen pages the only pages that are usable on mobile? So, the original free-form page designs are not available? Are there plans to make the original page designs (including the free-form page and record review page) available with mobile?

I haven't tested it out, but does the new ability to create new records inline work here? That would be awesome.

Finally, I haven't experimented that much because one of the first pages I made was a list page with grouping, and the grouping was messed up on my phone.

Astatsa
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Can you let us know what version to look out for? I have Version 4.10.1 but do not have access to the interfaces. Thank you for this update! So very needed!

(Android)

Joseph_Roza
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Wow. This came out so much sooner than I expect. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can't believe it.

BillH
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@Patti_Lo 

Thank you, this looks and sounds very promising.  Is there any timeline for an Android version?

Joseph_Roza
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Any plans on giving some love to the 'Lists' mobile view page?

I currently use checkboxes quite a bit in the Lists view, and they just stack on top of each other so I can't really do much with it other than click into the record.

Would be really nice to be able to use it as a traditional 'todo' list

Joseph_Roza
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

You added drag and drop back to sidesheets! That was one of my biggest gripes with the new sidesheets! Thank you so much!

I don't know how much feedback you want, and I don't know where to put it, but I'll list it below for your perusal, if you're interested. This will all pertain to mobile interfaces.

When opening what was the 'sidesheet', I have the following notes:

• calendar views are not working
  • galleries are not showing
  • can't hide field titles of long text fields
  • Will number fields to sum up linked record fields make a return?
  • with attachment fields, hero mobile view of image is not working. It shows the images and image name in tiny squares.
  • with card view and 'allow users to link/unlink existing people' enabled, I am unable to link/unlink as suggested
  • can we add the same field multiple times?
  • To close an opened record, can we swipe down or to the side? The 'x' to close is so high up.

In the 'form' view, when linking a new record to a linked record field, you can't customize the fields shown. The fields shown are random. I'm pretty sure this is still an issue on desktop, and is a privacy concern as it often seems to select the collaborators field which I try to filter out.

On the 'gallery' template page, is it possible to disable fullscreen'ing the image itself when clicking on the image? I'd like it to just open the record. I realize this goes against the core design of a 'gallery', but on mobile, there's less space and having to click the title area to open the record feels unintuitive.

• I noticed that you can swipe to open the record from the image, though, and that's interesting, though I don't think it would come to mind for most users, but maybe I'm just old. 

'Tab' filters don't take the customized name of the filter (ie. 'All Recipes' is now 'All Records')

The Kanban view is excellent, though the same issues from desktop view are still there. They're just more pronounced on mobile

• can we choose the 'title' of the record like we can on the calendar?
  • can we hide uncategorized/empty stacking fields?

On calendar View: 

• records are not colored as they are in desktop
  • can we have a 3 day or weekly view?
  • currently, the only usable view is the day view, which is fine, but it's not really a 'calendar' view.

Timeline is not supported? I suppose that's because it's a pro only feature, but it surprised me and thought it would work well on mobile.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Airtable has created these new "single use only" interfaces -- and these are the only ones that Airtable has added to mobile. My clients would really like to have the grid view be part of the new interfaces — on both desktop and mobile.

p.s. I've recently discovered that Noloco has great interfaces for Airtable, but it does cost a significant amount of extra money. I ended up presenting a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

Jack_Manuel
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Wow! Between this and creating linked records in an interface, my wishlist just got slashed!

karimM
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

is it live yet? I still have a message telling me taht I can view only on my desktop using the release 10.

Cant wait to try it 🙂

Jack_Manuel
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

It's a little buggy but very promising. If we get extensions and custom extensions in Interfaces, I think I'd be ready to begin transitioning most of users to Interfaces only, which is super exciting!