New formatting options for number fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi Airtable Community! I'm Matt, a Software Engineer here at Airtable. We're excited to announce some new features of number fields that give you more control over how numeric data is formatted and abbreviated. To access these updates, create a Number field or configure an existing Number field.

Main.png

What's included in these updates?

Format numbers for different languages. Using the new “Thousands and decimal separators” setting, you can format numbers automatically based on users' language preferences with the new “Local” option. For example, an English-speaking user sees 1,234.0 while a German-speaking user sees 1.234,0. You can also choose a specific format that applies to all users regardless of language preferences. Support for additional languages and regions will be available over the coming weeks.

Control whether thousands separators are shown. You can choose to display a number or currency field with thousands separators (1,234,567.0) or without (1234567.0).

Abbreviate large numbers. If you have large numbers or currency values, you can display them as an abbreviated value. For example, $34.1M instead of $34,100,000. When editing this value or referencing it in a Formula or in filters, we’ll continue to use the underlying, unabbreviated value.

Preview the result of a field’s settings. As you try out different combinations of options, we’ll show an example value to make it easier to confirm your selection before saving the field configuration.

Separator formats.png

What field types support these new settings?

Thousands and decimal separator customization is available for Number, Currency, Percent, and Duration fields, as well as computed fields (Formula, Lookup, Rollup) that are formatted as a Number, Currency, Percent, or Duration.

Large number abbreviations are available for Number and Currency fields, as well as computed fields (Formula, Lookup, Rollup) that are formatted as a Number or Currency.

16 Comments
Johnathan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Does this mean that, after 4 years of using Airtable, I can convert my numbers fields requiring a thousands comma separator from "currency" back to "number" format? Exciting!

Meredith_Scrog1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Amazing!!! Thank you for this greatly needed feature!!!

Nicole_Merwin
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Will the formatting pass through to emails as well? Or strictly formatted within the base?

Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

@Nicole_Merwin the formatting will be applied everywhere that we display cell values on web and desktop clients as well as in server-generated content, which includes emails. For our iOS and Android apps, these formatting options will be supported in a future update.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

OMG.

FINALLLLLLLLLLLY!!

10 YEARS IN THE MAKING!!!

AMEN AND HALLELUJAH!!!!!!

@Matt_Bush However, automations don't seem to respect the new formatting options when sending emails. But you said that these formatting options WILL be respected by automation emails?

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Thank you for this update. 

When will the Scripting, Blocks, and Web API documentation be updated to reflect these new field options?

Airbid
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Matt_Bush , the "display as" thousands, millions etc is great but it's really only useful if it's conditional. Is that something that is still in the works?

Sho
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @Matt_Bush,

Thanks for the update.
In the future, will formulas and email bodies also supply a way to get formatted numbers?

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

This is a great improvement that's been needed from the beginning, thanks!

I have a question regarding unit measurements, such as Kilograms (k), metres (m), ounces (oz) along with all the countless others - Will it be possible for users to set their own units suffix? I'd be interested in discussion points and thoughts around such a units feature, and why it hasn't been added, and if Airtable have planned it to be added.

BillH
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@Matt_Bush 

This sounds great, but I'm not seeing it on my plans.  Is there a staged roll out?  Does it apply to all plans?