3050 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Khayri
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey all, so I'm working on creating a base that will be used to track multiple event registrations with a form that has option for the registrar to identify which event(s) they are attending. Once the form is submitted, automations will assign them to the event they said they would attend via. a check in grid.

Currently, I have the email automation to send confirmation emails based off what they said they will attend, but I realized if someone plans to attend all five events, they will get a confirmation email for each event, that's potentially 5 different emails which isn't the most ideal.

I'd like to concatenate the email automation, that will be based off the events they select. i.e., if they plan to attend Event 1, 3, and 5. A single email will be distributed, confirming they signed up for 1, 3 and 5—instead of 3 different emails for each event.

I read around that this might involve creating a javascript but was hoping there is another way before I teach myself entry level javascript for this idea.

Another method I read would be creating an automation for every variation, but with the number of events not yet determined, it could easily come up to 100+ automations which is also not ideal, and I fear this creates a window for disaster.

Some More Details

- The event choices are a multiple select at the moment of this post.

- The current automation message is using some of the rich text formatting such as **[Event Name 1](Webpage Link)** and [Location](Google Maps Link)—I'd like to keep this if possible, so the email brings traffic to the website event page, but if this has to be lost, then it has to be lost.

- I saw I could click the blue + and could have the email automation sort of do what I'm looking for based off the data's recorded selection. However, would it be possible to hyperlink each to a specific website page? Would I have to change it from multi-select to pull it off? Have not tested this possibility prior to this post but may check it out to see where the rabbit hole leads.

Many thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Looks like you're making progress!

I've put together the formula field thing I mentioned here and you can duplicate it to view the formulas, and have made it work with an "Event" table like you mentioned. 

The workflow would be for users to select the events they wish to attend via a linked field within the form, and once a form is submitted an email will be sent via automation that'll take the text from the formula field, and it would look something like this:

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.03.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.03.36 PM.png

If you really want to use a multiple select instead that's possible too, would just need another automation that would link the records appropriately based on the selected multiple select field options

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6

Hmm, try creating a formula field that'll display the email text message that you want based on the events that are selected?  You can then just use that formula field's text in your email, and it would retain the rich text formatting that you expect

That way you'll just have a single automation that fires when a form gets submitted, and it'll send one email with all the text you want in it, no script needed

Khayri

Hi Adam, not sure if I fully understand what you mean about using the formula field's text in the email. In my screenshots I have one of the grids and then the automations 1 - 5, where instead of 5 different email automations, its one automation that'll have specific text to the event.

I have the email below for more context, where it says "Event Name 1"—I'd want it to spit out the event name based off the data, but include a specific hyperlink for each event name. Kind of like an '=IF' statement where if it reads event 2, it'll include event 2 + hyperlink in the email. Sorry for the confusion

Hello <Name>,

This email is to confirm that you are **registered** to attend in-person **[Event Name 1](Webpage Link)** on <Date and Time> (EDT) at [Location](Google Maps Link).

You will receive a reminder email with further instructions prior to the event. If you are no longer able to participate or have any further questions, please email **[email](<mailto:email)**.

Khayri

Messed around with that blue check I mentioned in my initial post, it does like 50% of what I want, where it'll look at the events attending column, and send an email based off that selection including a hyperlink. But I don't want it to combine all 5 events like that and sent a single link. I'm looking for each event to be its own link. Hmmmm

Screenshot 2023-08-11 104534.png

Khayri

UPDATE

Made some major progress on this, but ran into another roadblock.

1. Created another table that only holds the event information, combining the event name and event webpage link using the below formula, to give me the Hyperlink Column.

"[" & Name & "](" & {Webpage Link} & ")"
Screenshot 2023-08-11 165638.png
2. Then, in my primary table, created a linked record connecting from the new table, which pulls based off what the registrar selects.
Screenshot 2023-05-11 011931.png

The new pickle is, the Hyperlink automation will work almost as intended. It will populate whenever a new record is created, but it will populate the entire list of hyperlinks, instead of what is being reflected in Events Attending and/or Events Attending Linked].

This is the final hurdle because then, I can create the email automation, based off the Hyperlink column, sending registrars a confirmation email based only on what events they selected. Homestretch.

EDIT

Can't seem to do anything about the list population, seems to be a limitation of the automation selections. Probably fixed by creating a script but not sure,

Screenshot 2023-08-11 190315.png

Looks like you're making progress!

I've put together the formula field thing I mentioned here and you can duplicate it to view the formulas, and have made it work with an "Event" table like you mentioned. 

The workflow would be for users to select the events they wish to attend via a linked field within the form, and once a form is submitted an email will be sent via automation that'll take the text from the formula field, and it would look something like this:

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.03.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.03.36 PM.png

If you really want to use a multiple select instead that's possible too, would just need another automation that would link the records appropriately based on the selected multiple select field options

Khayri

Woah this is right on the nose, amazing! Adam you're an MVP!