1347 8
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alwayslearning
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, does anyone know if it is possible within the use of Airtable with Zapier or even just Airtable to create an automation where the automation will search for a number of different pre-defined strings and count every record where it exists, then write to a table to record the count for various timeframes like day, week, month, year? If not exactly that, can be a more simplified version. As long as I can define certain strings I am searching for and have it count and record for a given time period - day, week, month, etc.

Request Details contains large text and for any record , Request Details could contain one or more of the string matches I am looking for. Would it be better to create an automation which searches Request Details field for the string matches I am looking for then create a linked record for every string match before accomplishing the original ask?

For example: I have a field called Request Details. I want to be able to search for certain string matches like Strawberry, Blueberry, Orange, etc. The automation will search my records within a given timeframe of a day, week, month or year where Request Details contains the various strings. Then it will count those records for each string and record to the given timeframe.

8 Replies 8
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

Use a linked record and rollups

In your rollup filter on the item you are searching for and sum(values).

Your automation looks at your linked table (record aggregator in the pictures).  Schedule it over your frequency (daily, monthly, etc) to record the values in record aggregator 

Hi, thank you for the response!

Unfortunately, the Request Details field I am looking to search holds a whole bunch of different text. To do your method, I would need a way to extract from Request Details my string matches before I have those cleanly bucketed records like you have there. 

alwayslearning
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

When I mentioned pre-defined strings, I should clarify there are certain string matches I know to look for in the field Request Details, but Request Details stores a whole message and not simple single select values 

alwayslearning
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Request Details for any record could contain one or more of the string matches I am looking for. Would it be better to create an automation which searches Request Details field for the string matches I am looking for then create a linked record for every string match before accomplishing the original ask?

Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

The native find will only return 100 records.  I don't think a daily search is the right approach.  

In your count you can use the contains option which essentially does the search for you

conducting the search is one part, but to record the count from that search in an automated fashion - how would that be done? 

Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

you records your results in a new "log" table with the keyfield being the date/timestamp.

so there is no way to do this in an automated fashion? it requires manual input?