Help

Automation action "Find records" showing "no valid nested values" for dynamic values

Topic Labels: Automations
Solved
Jump to Solution
3112 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Remy_Smith
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I'm setting up an automation triggered by updating a field in one table, which updates a field on the linked record in another table. I'm using "Find records" to search the linked table based on condition that the record's name/title matches the name/title of the linked record from the source. Essentially, I'm just trying to find the record linked to the updated record.

However, when selecting "Dynamic" for the condition value, the name/title field to be used is not selectable, with the pop-up message of "no valid nested values" when hovering over the field. It really seems like this should work, and this error message is cryptic and not helpful.

Does anyone understand this "no valid nested values" error?

Should I be grabbing linked records to be updated in a different way?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

> Essentially, I'm just trying to find the record linked to the updated record.
Hm, what if you used an "Update Record" immediately to update the record linked to the updated record like so? 

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 7.07.00 PM.png

Link to base with automation

If the above doesn't meet your needs, would it be possible to share your base with some example data so that I can troubleshoot it?

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

> Essentially, I'm just trying to find the record linked to the updated record.
Hm, what if you used an "Update Record" immediately to update the record linked to the updated record like so? 

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 7.07.00 PM.png

Link to base with automation

If the above doesn't meet your needs, would it be possible to share your base with some example data so that I can troubleshoot it?

Thanks Adam! That did the trick. I didn't realize you could reference a linked record using its ID instead of its name. I can probably use this to optimize some other automations as well. I appreciate your help.

Genius 💪