1127 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex_N
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Is there a way to run an automation where I can find the next empty cell in a column?

I am trying to run an automation where the next empty cell in a column is found and then copy some value from another table over to that empty cell. For example, I have a table with usernames and passwords and another table with names and empty columns for usernames and passwords which will be copied over from the other table.

I know there is a FInd Records action where I can look for empty cells, but that action returns all empty cells and not only the first empty cell.

I think I can get this to work by creating a third linking table where I can automate creating new rows with values from both tables but I am sure there is a simpler way to just find the first instance of an empty cell on a column.

Name Username Password
Peter User1 Password1
Joe User2 Password2
Mary User3 Password3
Paul
Albert
Bob
3 Replies 3

Welcome to the Airtable community!

This can be done with a scripting automation.

Here is some other food for thought:

• Airtable is not a great place to store passwords. Anyone with access to the base can see all of the passwords. But perhaps these are passwords where low security is okay?

• Since the passwords exist in a different table, consider using a linked record field and look-up fields instead of copying the text strings. Leveraging linked records is one of the powers of Airtable.

• A script can identify the first record in a view that has an empty field. However, the order of rows can change. Because Airtable is really a database (versus a spreadsheet), records don’t have a fixed position and are not aware of their positions.

Alex_N
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Kuovonne,

Thanks for the warm welcome and for your comment.

The passwords are just an example but it helps explain what I am trying to achieve. I will definitely be linking these tables together though.

Thanks for suggesting a script to do this. Now that I know that this cannot be done simply with just Airtable automations, I will read more into Airtable scripts.

Gokula_Krishnan
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

HI, does anyone have an example on solving this? I'm looking for a similar solution where i have about 1000 rows which have account number column filled and via a submitted form, i want to pre-assign user data into the 1st row where a column is empty.