Help

Creating an automation that adds to Table C when I link a record in Table A to Table B

Topic Labels: Automations Base design
556 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
testtest49
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I need to create an automation that works between three tables.

Whenever a record from table B is linked to a record in table A, I need to create a record in table C that references those two records. If I link multiple records in at the same time, I need to create a new record for each that are linked.

So basically, I need to create a record in table C that is [Table B Value]-[Table A Value.]

My problem right now is that if I use the "when record updated" condition, it just won't work.

If I link multiple records at once I can't pull out the Table B values individually. It ends up just creating one record of all the values.

And if I there are multiple values in the table, it pulls them all.

If I link[Table B Value]-[Table A Value 1] and [Table A Value 2] simultaneously,

I need the automation to create simultaneously in Table C:

[Table B Value]-[Table A Value 1] 

[Table B Value]-[Table A Value 2]

Thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1

An automation with a "Run a script" action would be simplest if you know how to do that / know someone who could help you with that

And if you're open to third party options, Zapier's got a line item action that may help with this as well I think

If not, an alternative is to force the creation of new records by pasting unique comma separated values into a linked field, and you can find an example of that here

The example works by:
1. Having an automation that finds the relevant template records and pastes them into a specific text field
2. Having a formula field that will format it into a unique comma separated list of values
3. Having another automation that will then paste the values from the previous point into a linked field, forcing multiple record creation

In your case, it would trigger when a Table A record is linked to a Table B record, and it would find all the Table A records that are linked to that one Table B record, and it would paste that list into the text field as mentioned in Step 1 above, and follow through with it.

So, if you link[Table B Value]-[Table A Value 1] and [Table A Value 2] simultaneously, you'd end up with two new records in Table C like you said:

- [Table B Value]-[Table A Value 1] 
-
[Table B Value]-[Table A Value 2]

At this point, both records are linked to the correct Table B record, but are not linked to the Table A records.  To deal with this, you'll need to create a formula field in Table C to extract the name of the relevant Table A record (e.g. [Table A Value 1]), and then use an automation to paste that value into a linked field to Table A