1460 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sam_Parker
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a way to choose which record gets referenced while setting up and testing an automation?

I am setting up some email automations and I want to avoid emailing an actual customer during the testing and trial process. I have a sample customer and a record using the sample customer’s information created; but the record that is referenced for use in the actions section is an earlier record referencing a real customer.

The record I want to use for all setup and testing purposes:
airtableex2

The record that is being automatically referenced for all setup and testing purposes:
airtableex1

I’m sure I could find a workaround by creating a blank new table or moving previous records around in some way, but it would be far easier to just select my sample customer’s record in my live table.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mike_Mauer
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

You can just create edit your view filters or condition filter to say “Name contains ‘Sample Customer’” and it will select that only.

Or create a checkbox that is called “Sample Data” and just set your filter or condition to “Sample Data = TRUE”.

Hope that works!

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Mike_Mauer
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

You can just create edit your view filters or condition filter to say “Name contains ‘Sample Customer’” and it will select that only.

Or create a checkbox that is called “Sample Data” and just set your filter or condition to “Sample Data = TRUE”.

Hope that works!

Thank you, Mike! This was an easy fix for setup & testing purposes.

airtableex3

After I set up and tested my automation with the sample customer first name condition in place as a safeguard, I was able to simply delete this safeguard condition. No additional testing was required to turn on my automation after deleting the safeguard condition, so in this example I ran no risk of emailing a real customer at any point.

This seems to be the best way to initially force a specific reference record.