581 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_Jarvis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am looking for some help on how to create multiple records for asset management using a form. Here is the scenario…

We have used Podio for years for doing project management. A new ITSM was just implemented on campus and asset management is one of the tools we will be using in it. In Podio, we had built out a Locations app that contained info on every classroom we have on campus. Unfortunately, the way asset management was done was to place all of the serials into one large text field instead of separate fields. So when it is exported, all of this info comes out in 1 cell.

I have been able to separate the data, but I’m thinking the easiest way to get these into the format that we need would be to create a form with separate fields for all of the data I need and copy/paste from the exported data we have. I want the form to then split that data out into multiple records that contains the type of hardware, serial, product number, etc. for each individual piece of hardware, but each record would have the same location. This is the part I am not sure how to accomplish. Doing the form will not be an issue. If someone could provide some help on how to then take that data and automate splitting it into the records I need, it would help me greatly.

2 Replies 2

Hi @Jeff_Jarvis,
Typically a form is used to gather data you do not already have. It sounds like you already have all of the data you need, it just needs some manipulation. Also, copy paste sounds tedious :slightly_smiling_face:

Is the data in a CSV format? Can you open it with something like Excel or Google Sheets? Both of these applications have built in functions to distribute comma separated data across cells.

Once your data is spready out in excel the way you want it, you can import to Airtable for further manipulation if needed. Like creating a field for location and applying it to all imported records.

If you want to post a sample of the data you are working with I can take a look at it and tell you how to clean it up in Google Sheets.

Jeff_Jarvis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I think I found a way to do what I’m wanted to do using Power Query tools in Excel. Thanks.