cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterda
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello! I have 2 tables in my database:

'Employee Directory' with fields: Name, Seniority, Department, and Email.

'Equipment Requests' with fields: Request, Employee (linked), Department (lookup), Email (lookup), and Status.

I would like to create an automation where, upon the creation of a request (trigger), an email is sent (action) to the manager of the same department where the employee works.

After setting up the trigger ('when a record is created'), I attempted to configure an action ('find records') that operates on the 'Employee Directory' table, finding records based on a condition. The condition should be 'where Department is' some dynamic condition. However, I am unable to select a dynamic item for the Department; it appears grayed out and states "Cannot assign list of string to string".

Could you please assist me with this issue?

2 Replies 2

Hi,
Which table holds Department (lookup) source value?
I suppose you don't trying to link to 'Employee table', using lookup, that should only work after you establish the link ))

Yeah it's a weird one.  Since you're using a lookup, you can solve this by creating a formula field that just displays the value of that lookup field like so:

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 9.13.47 AM.png

And now you'll be able to select that formula field:

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 9.14.16 AM.png

Alternatively, you could create a rollup field and use 'ARRAYJOIN(values)' to display the department instead, and that will be selectable in your automation

I've set up both here for you to check out