cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BB-Bacuti
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi 

I have an automation which is triggered by a checkbox field. The records in the table are recursive in nature with id->parent_id linkages. When I turn the checkbox on for a row it does some stuff and then turns that checkbox on for all the children records.

The question I have is - if I turn the checkbox on the topmost parent row on from another automation, will that "Update Record" action in that automation wait for all the triggers to fire in the recursive table or will it the "Update Record" action complete as soon as the topmost parent's checkbox is updated

Is there any way to wait till all the recursive actions are complete?

Thanks in advance for your answers

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, in Airtable’s automations, there is no way to wait until all the other recursive actions are complete. There is no “order” or “queue”. Everything fires as quickly as it can, in no specific order. Even if you create a repeating loop in Airtable’s automations, you can’t even control which order the records will complete in.

The only way to wait until actions are complete — or get things to happen in a specific order — is to write your own custom JavaScript scripts, or use a more advanced automation tool like Make. There can be a bit of a learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video for Make, along with providing the link to Make’s free training courses. 

I suspected as much. Thank you for the answer.