cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scmi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,
This seems really basic, so I’m probably just missing something simple, but I can’t seem to figure it out/find the answer, so hoping someone can help me. :]

I’m trying to create an automation that sends a welcome email to folks when they sign up for membership with my org/when their record is created in our base.

I created a Send an Email automation that works, but I need it to send to the new member’s email address, and I’m only getting the option of sending the email to a pre-existing record:
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.09.35 PM
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.11.01 PM

Is there a way for me to select the Primary Email field, instead of an existing record? So that the email goes to the new member?

I hope that’s clear. Thank you!

4 Replies 4

Since Send an email is the first step after the trigger, the only option its giving you is to send to the email associated with the record that triggered the automation.

The values you’re seeing (i.e. “redacted@gmail.com”) come from the record used to test the email. When the automation is turned on, it will insert the email from the trigger record, which in your case (assuming your View filters enforce it) would be new records as they come in.

In short: click {Primary Email} anyway. It is set up exactly as you described you want it to.

Thanks, Kamille. That’s what I figured, but when I turned on the automation and tested it via the form on our website, it sent an email to the address I tested with and also to that redacted email address. :sweat:

Examine how you set up the automation, and the runs for the automation. Did one email go to two recipients (where one recipient shouldn’t have got it), or did the automation run twice where each run emailed one person? Did “redacted”'s record leave the View and re-enter it, causing the Automation to trigger? Are you looking at an email sent by one of your tests or by the automation after it went “live”?

Scmi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Ok, yeah, it seems to be working. Looks like the send to Redacted was from the test, which isn’t ideal, heh, but oh well.
Thank you for your help!