Help

Timesheet Entries Table filling Invoice Table

Topic Labels: Automations
1009 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I’ve finally decided to go pro with Airtable, so cool!

I bumped into a workflow problem, where, for example I have timesheet entries in a timesheet table that each have a corresponding weeknum column, and I’m wondering if it’s possible for an Invoice table to automatically drawout the matching timesheet entries for each week?

I can get things manually working, with an error checking formula that also flags if I’ve made a manual mistake - but I’d really like for the Invoice table to be automated based on the timesheet entries table.

Is this possible? Screenshots below showing the two tables, fairly simple stuff - fingers crossed I can do this with a little guidance.

2 Replies 2

Use an Automation.

Trigger: When [Timesheet] record’s {Week} value changes

Step 1: Find records in [Timesheet] table where {Invoice Week} = the {Week} field value from the trigger record.
Step 2: Update record in [Timesheet] table (trigger record’s record ID). Fill the {Invoice} field with the list of record IDs found in Step 1.

Thanks @Kamille_Parks - I discovered Airtable Automation shortly after posting. There’s a fair bit to learn before I’m up and running with this so have spent this morning watching examples - And I can now get a simple Status column Automating to a different status - but am now trying to figure out the Week Number match logic and the publishing of a timesheet entry to an Invoice with a matching week.

Will re-read your steps and see if I can get this working. Appreciate if anyone cares to comment further, or even post a screenshot or two showing some tips.

EDIT:
I’ve watched some more tutorials, and again attempted this automation but haven’t had luck. For some reason the data (the week number) that I’m trying to dymaically compare during a “Processing” trigger is simply not available, as per screenshot.

"This property cannot be used right now"

The property is simply a formulating result from the record date to get the week count;

WEEKNUM({Issue Date})

So the workflow is, I create timesheet record each day in a timesheet table - each timesheet is stamped with its annual week number. At the end of the week, I then create an invoice record - and what I’m trying to automate is any matching timesheets from the weeks end are then linked into that invoice record.

EDIT: So found a video by GAP Consulting that touches on a very similar process - this alternative method that automates the same result seems to work well and I dare say has solved my problem. Automations are awesome!