Help

update airtable record (begin and end dates) when I move an event on Google calendar

Topic Labels: Automations
Solved
Jump to Solution
1095 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrjkruger
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

Currently, I use automations to create Google Calendar events from new records in Airtable. I prefer to manage the events directly from Google Calendar. I find moving events (jobs) is more fluid than doing so in Airtable. 

What I need is to create an automation that updates an Airtable record when a Google Calendar event is updated. 

I would assume the trigger is - GCalendar update and I would think I need to find and match the airtable record to the GC event. I stumped on this part. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

In your original automation that creates Google Calendar events from new records in Airtable, you'll need to add an "Update record" action that will update the record with the Google Calendar event ID

Once that's done, you're right, the trigger is GCalendar update, and you would search for the correct Airtable record to update with the Google Calendar event ID

See Solution in Thread

Hmm, perhaps you could try some of the suggestions here to get the ID?  I'm not too familiar with this side of things myself either I'm afraid

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

In your original automation that creates Google Calendar events from new records in Airtable, you'll need to add an "Update record" action that will update the record with the Google Calendar event ID

Once that's done, you're right, the trigger is GCalendar update, and you would search for the correct Airtable record to update with the Google Calendar event ID

Hello and thanks for that tip - it was successful. 

However, now I need to update 100+ records in Airtable with the Google Calendar event ID. The issue I'm having is that the API created ID from your suggestion does not match what I find when I click on the GEvent and look for it in the URL. I'm wondering if I can still update all my existing records with a matching GC Event ID.

Hmm, perhaps you could try some of the suggestions here to get the ID?  I'm not too familiar with this side of things myself either I'm afraid

Although time consuming - this will work. I needed the debug view for Google Calendar to capture the correct format to paste into the decode website to generate the matching ID to Airtable. 

Now, I'm off to search why a one day (all day) event is formatted as 2 days in Airtable. For example, I moved an event on Google Calendar from the 15th to the 19th and now my end date on Airtable shows the 20th. 

Sounds like it might be a timezone issue I'm afraid.  Perhaps try changing your "Date" field formatting to show the timezones as well to see if that shows you where the problem lies?