268 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yeoldebrian
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I've made a Record Template that creates multiple records. I want to write a script that runs this a bunch of times and fills in some of the fields based on a form submission. I can't find any way to access and run a record template from a script. Any help or other ideas would be greatly appreciated. If I can't figure this out I guess I'll just script the whole process and skip using the record template but I'm not proficient in scripting yet so I'll need to learn a lot to do this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

As Adam stated, Airtable scripting doe snot have access to native record templates.

However, you also asked for other ideas. When I want to combine templates with scripting, I like to use actual records in the same table as final records. I use a single select to indicate which records are templates versus regular data records. That way I do no store any field data in the script.

You also state that you are not proficient in scripting yet. I recommend working on basic scripting skills before tackling this specific project.

You may also be able to use record templates with an automation, as the create and update record actions have access to record templates. Depending on what records you want to create or update, you might not need scripting at all.

There are many ways to do things in Airtable. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3

I don't think that's possible I'm afraid.  Perhaps you could make the script update the records you need via checkbox or something and use an automation to apply the record templates to those records?

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

As Adam stated, Airtable scripting doe snot have access to native record templates.

However, you also asked for other ideas. When I want to combine templates with scripting, I like to use actual records in the same table as final records. I use a single select to indicate which records are templates versus regular data records. That way I do no store any field data in the script.

You also state that you are not proficient in scripting yet. I recommend working on basic scripting skills before tackling this specific project.

You may also be able to use record templates with an automation, as the create and update record actions have access to record templates. Depending on what records you want to create or update, you might not need scripting at all.

There are many ways to do things in Airtable. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Than you Kuovonne (and Adam)! I was able to build what I needed without scripting using the create record and selecting template and then updating the record. You saved me a ton of time!