cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marcelo
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello!
I have 2 bases with a table that has two-way synchronization.
In the destination base I have added many formulas to calculate prices and costs.
Now I need to return the final result value to the source table.
I tried using automations, but using "Update Rung" is not allowed in these syncs.
I also tried with formulas, but it is not possible.
Is there a way to do it within Airtable?

The other option is to use third-party tools, such as Make or Zapier, but I prefer to avoid that for now.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Marcelo
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Dan.

Yes, i can write back to the source base, but it's manual. I need something more automatic, like a formula or lookup.

I found a way by automations. In previous tests I had done it using a group action. This did not allow me to edit the field in the automations.
But if I do an "individual" automation, it does it without a problem.

See Solution in Thread

Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

This can be done by "faking" a 2 way sync.

Source Base has a view that is shared to Target Base

Target Base has a view (of the same data) that syncs back to Source base

Source Base has an automation that looks for the calculated field in the synced data to change.  When it changes, find the record in the source data and update the field.

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Marcelo, 

2-way sync is included in the business plan.  If you have 2-way sync, you should be able to update the "final price" field from Base B and have that reflected on Base A.  If you are getting an error, please make sure you have edit records turned on in Base A.  

Marcelo
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Dan.

Yes, i can write back to the source base, but it's manual. I need something more automatic, like a formula or lookup.

I found a way by automations. In previous tests I had done it using a group action. This did not allow me to edit the field in the automations.
But if I do an "individual" automation, it does it without a problem.

My understanding so far from reading the documentation is that the destination can add additional fields (including formulae and lookups) but that they are not synced back to the source table. Only the columns that starts off in the source table are synced both ways. I'm thinking of this as a feature as I plan the modelling of my data. If I need the data in both source and destination tables, and it must be synced, then it has to start off in the former.

I'm planning on doing some experiments to properly understand two-way sync in the coming days as I've only just upgraded to the Business Plan. So apologies if I misunderstood. Maybe someone with more experience can confirm or better explain what's happening in the context of your use case. And very possibly you've giving me an early warning of a show-stopper for my own planned use of two-way sync.

Hi!
I read the same thing, but I asked to see if anyone could think of something better. Then I found the other solution with automations.
Unfortunately, because of the way I made the data structure, the calculations are done in the target base, and I can't avoid it.
I have some experience in Airtable, I am a consultant for several clients. But these are my first practices with synchronization in both directions.
If you need any help, you can DM me.

Devinder_Singh
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

If upgrading to Airtable's business plan isn't feasible, or if there's a need for two-way sync with other integrations like Webflow, Byteline data sync offers an excellent solution.

It supports syncing computed fields back to the source, whether between Airtable bases or other integrations. In addition, the following features are supported:

• Custom filters to fine-tune the data to sync.
  • Historical sync to manage existing data.

Learn more.

Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

This can be done by "faking" a 2 way sync.

Source Base has a view that is shared to Target Base

Target Base has a view (of the same data) that syncs back to Source base

Source Base has an automation that looks for the calculated field in the synced data to change.  When it changes, find the record in the source data and update the field.