Help

Re: Airtable doesn't fully support - Required Data Fields (e.g., explicit or conditional)

Solved
Jump to Solution
548 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataGuru
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

There are times when I need a data field to be "Required".   Otherwise, data quality issues are introduced.

When this is needed, usually the data field must always be "Required" (Use Case #1).  There are also times when a data field needs to be "Required" only conditionally (Use Case #2), based on a value present in another data field within the record.  

What I have observed:

1. Airtable supports Use Case #1 during data creation via the Interface Creation Form, but not during a data update.  I can delete the data in a "required" data field, subsequently in the same interface.
  2. Airtable doesn't support Use Case #1 at the table/view level.  It can't be specified when defining a column.
  3. Regarding Use Case #2, "Conditionally Required" enforcement is not supported, either at the table/view level or within an interface.  

Am I missing something?  Please let me know if there is another means to enforce these rules.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, as @dilipborad mentioned above, Airtable has NO VALIDATION of any kind in the entire platform.

The only exception to this is forms, which offer the ability to require fields. But Airtable forms can’t be used to update records, only add new records.

So your only real option there is to use Fillout, which is 100% free, and is the only dedicated form app for Airtable that allows you to both create & update records in Airtable, and has many more validation options than Airtable’s forms. It also has lots of advanced, Airtable-specific features. 

(You can also use more generic form software like JotForm, but it doesn’t communicate natively with Airtable, so you’d have to piece together your own communication using Make.)

Another option would be to use an external Airtable interface/portal app like Noloco or Softr, but then you’re getting into serious expenses when all you really wanted was some extra validation options. 

Beyond that, your best choice for integrated validation options would be to turn to a more capable & more professional database app, like SmartSuite (as @dilipborad mentioned above) or Apple’s cross-platform database app FileMaker.

If you need a FileMaker developer or an Airtable consultant, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable Consulting — ScottWorld

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
dilipborad
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hello @DataGuru 

I don't think you've missed anything. It's true that AirTable is not supported data required validation at view and table level. It's only support while you're interacting with Forms and Interfaces.

Check this SmartSuite | One Platform for Managing Work 

This tool is still in early stage but I think they have these type of things.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, as @dilipborad mentioned above, Airtable has NO VALIDATION of any kind in the entire platform.

The only exception to this is forms, which offer the ability to require fields. But Airtable forms can’t be used to update records, only add new records.

So your only real option there is to use Fillout, which is 100% free, and is the only dedicated form app for Airtable that allows you to both create & update records in Airtable, and has many more validation options than Airtable’s forms. It also has lots of advanced, Airtable-specific features. 

(You can also use more generic form software like JotForm, but it doesn’t communicate natively with Airtable, so you’d have to piece together your own communication using Make.)

Another option would be to use an external Airtable interface/portal app like Noloco or Softr, but then you’re getting into serious expenses when all you really wanted was some extra validation options. 

Beyond that, your best choice for integrated validation options would be to turn to a more capable & more professional database app, like SmartSuite (as @dilipborad mentioned above) or Apple’s cross-platform database app FileMaker.

If you need a FileMaker developer or an Airtable consultant, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable Consulting — ScottWorld

dilipborad
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hello @DataGuru 

As @ScottWorld mentioned you can use a couple of direct form builders and integrate them with Airtable or some website builders.

But I forgot to mention another tool ReTable(No code online spreadsheet & database solution for business | Retable) which also has that type of data validation.

DataGuru
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for the additional feedback.  I’ll see if they can meet my needs.