Help

Re: Automate tab to remove data from one tab and place it in another?

977 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kristin_Turner1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Here’s what I’ve got:

In Weekend Shift Tab when Status says Done
then remove record from Weekend Shift Tab and place in the Done Tab like this:

I’ve followed this tutorial: Airtable Automation - Move A Record To Another Table: No-Code Tutorial - YouTube

I’ve made the automation work to pull the data in but:
A) It doesn’t erase/hide the original data from the Weekend Shift tab.
B) It pulls in every status not just the ones marked DONE.

What am I doing wrong? Pictures for automation setup

5 Replies 5

Hi Kristin

Hmm, deleting records would require you to use a script, which might be more trouble than it’s worth here. How do you feel about changing the status of the original record in the Weekend Shift table to “Transferred” or some such?

This would allow you to filter them out of your views as needed

To do this, we’d just add another action step to update the original record’s Status value

The automation’s currently set up to trigger whenever the Status field is updated. As we only want the automation to trigger when the Status field’s value is “Done”, we need to make the trigger the following instead:

Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 1.43.55 PM

Hmmm, I’m not opposed! The only thing I really worry about is if someone accidentally transitions something to transferred when it wasn’t then I’ll have to go in and find it to bring it back - could get messy, unless:
Is there a way for the status being marked ‘done’ to trigger the insert of ‘transferred’ which then triggers the hiding?

Whatever it takes to make it easier for folks to insert data in one tab for their respective shift I’m for, honestly. I’m trying to make this as streamlined as possible without having 1,000 different tabs for each week.

Also, before I go any further, it’s definitely possible to do this with multiple tabs + filtering out duplicates on the Done tab, correct?

I may have to have you walk me through how to properly setup the views as well. This is only my second week diving deep into using Airtable so, I’ve still got a lot to learn :grinning_face_with_sweat:

Gosh, thank you for that clarification. Literally so simple.

This might be more complex and something I do later on when I have more knowledge:
Say one shift completes a task for a certain number, is it possible to update all the shift tabs so we aren’t having to go in and manually update them?
Basically:
If status is done, and numbers match in the numbers field on tabs 1,2,3,4, then hide, move to done tab.

@Kristin_Turner1 It doesn’t sound like you’re using Airtable in the best possible way here.

Instead of moving a record from one table to another, the better approach to this would be to keep all of your records in the same table, and create different views to distinguish between the different statuses.

Since you’re brand new to Airtable, you might benefit greatly from taking my free Airtable training course, which covers views in depth:

Thanks for the response, Scott. I got it all setup with views to keep everything more organized. I think I’ve found a workable solution that will get us what we need now! Appreciate the helpful tips and links - always willing to learn more and more about Airtable. Such an awesome and useful tool.

Ah, I was thinking we’d just have a filter that filtered out all records with the status “Transferred”, like so:

Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 11.42.40 AM

And so, technically, once the Status is “Transferred”, it’s automatically hidden from view.

Hmm, could you give me an example of a duplicate in the Done table, and how that duplicate might appear?

Yeap, totally, might eat up a lot of automation runs though

Would it be okay if you told me broadly about the problem we’re trying to solve and what kind of data we have access to? From what I can tell, we’re tracking working shifts, but I can’t tell what kind of data we have, or what we intend to do with the data after it’s been organized

I think that the suggestions I’m providing may be off the mark here because I don’t fully understand what the problem is