411 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianlaws
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Apologies if this is a simple question - I've tried to figure this out for hours now and I'm at a loss. I'd prefer not to use automation for something so simple, but will do so if necessary. Here is my issue:

I have an intake form setup to receive responses from sources external to my org. Let's say it's a form to request for sandwiches to be delivered. The user selects from various options for types of sandwiches (Peanut Butter, Ham and Swiss, Roast Beef). Each of these sandwiches take different times to prepare. Therefore, I have the following tables with the following fields:

• Sandwich Requests
    • Type
    • Prepare Time
    • Requester
    • Date Received
    • Etc.
  • Sandwiches
    • Type
    • Prepare Time

The "Sandwiches > Prepare Time" field is just a number - the days it takes to prepare a sandwich. I want this to automatically populate into the "Sandwich Request > Prepare Time" field automatically based on the type of sandwich requested. How do I do that?

2 Replies 2
Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Do you mean for it to visually appear within the form for the user to see? This may be a bit difficult to do as formula calculations won't be able to happen until the record is created upon submission of the form.

However, if this is just for you to see, then yes we can make calculations using formulas.

My suggestion is to use a SWITCH() formula. Use this to define all the sandwich components from the multiselect to a fixed number value. Then use a second formula to calculate the time.

Let me know if this helps 🙂

Native Airtable forms cannot show lookup or calculated values.

Are your two tables linked together? I would expect to see a {Sandwich} linked record field on your [Sandwich Requests] table. Then you can use a lookup or rollup field to bring the {Prepare Time} from the [Sandwiches] table to the [Sandwich Requests] table.

If your tables are linked in this way, you may be able to use a third party form service to show the {prepare time} to the user before the form is submitted. (But that would incur additional cost and setup.)

Another possible alternative to show the prepare time to your form users is to include the prepare time in the name of the sandwich. "Peanut Butter - 2 days". This would typically be done by having your primary field be a formula field.