cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnitaHallberg
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello!

I'm attempting to optimize my Calendar view, and I'm running into an issue.

I have a table with tasks that fall in three categories:

1. Multiple Days (Start and End dates are different)
  2. Single Day (Start and End date are the same)
  3. Deadline/Milestone (only End date is filled out)

In Gantt view and Timeline view, these work great. The issue is Calendar view. 

I duplicate the Start and End dates for Single Day events because it then shows the event as taking a full workday (which is important for our workflow, and it differentiates it from a deadline/milestone)

In Calendar view, the start and end date appear as separate cards, essentially becoming duplicates. I could use a date range, but because of the volume of multi day events we have, this would make is extremely difficult to read the calendar. 

Is there any way I can merge the start and end dates into one card in Calendar view if they are the same, while maintaining the ability to move them around on the view itself? (i.e - not using a formulated date field)

Thank you in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
airtableformula
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Anita!

Yes, you can merge the start and end dates into one card in Calendar view for single-day tasks without using a formula field. Here's how you can do it:

1. Create a new field in your table called "Date Range". This field will be used to display the start and end dates of each task.

2. For tasks that have a start and end date that are different (i.e., multiple-day tasks), leave the "Date Range" field blank.

3. For tasks that have a start and end date that are the same (i.e., single-day tasks), enter the date as a range in the "Date Range" field. For example, if the task is on February 21, 2023, enter "Feb 21, 2023 - Feb 21, 2023" in the "Date Range" field.

4. In the Calendar view, group the tasks by the "Date Range" field instead of the "Start Date" or "End Date" fields.

5. This will group all tasks with the same date range into one card on the calendar view, regardless of whether they are single-day or multiple-day tasks.

6. You can still move the tasks around on the calendar view and the start and end dates will update automatically.

Here's a formula that you can use for the "Date Range" field that will automatically generate the date range based on the "Start Date" and "End Date" fields:

IF(
{Start Date} = BLANK(),
"",
IF(
{Start Date} = {End Date},
DATETIME_FORMAT({Start Date}, 'MMM D, YYYY'),
DATETIME_FORMAT({Start Date}, 'MMM D, YYYY') & " - " & DATETIME_FORMAT({End Date}, 'MMM D, YYYY')
)
)

Hope this helps, and good luck!

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
airtableformula
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Anita!

Yes, you can merge the start and end dates into one card in Calendar view for single-day tasks without using a formula field. Here's how you can do it:

1. Create a new field in your table called "Date Range". This field will be used to display the start and end dates of each task.

2. For tasks that have a start and end date that are different (i.e., multiple-day tasks), leave the "Date Range" field blank.

3. For tasks that have a start and end date that are the same (i.e., single-day tasks), enter the date as a range in the "Date Range" field. For example, if the task is on February 21, 2023, enter "Feb 21, 2023 - Feb 21, 2023" in the "Date Range" field.

4. In the Calendar view, group the tasks by the "Date Range" field instead of the "Start Date" or "End Date" fields.

5. This will group all tasks with the same date range into one card on the calendar view, regardless of whether they are single-day or multiple-day tasks.

6. You can still move the tasks around on the calendar view and the start and end dates will update automatically.

Here's a formula that you can use for the "Date Range" field that will automatically generate the date range based on the "Start Date" and "End Date" fields:

IF(
{Start Date} = BLANK(),
"",
IF(
{Start Date} = {End Date},
DATETIME_FORMAT({Start Date}, 'MMM D, YYYY'),
DATETIME_FORMAT({Start Date}, 'MMM D, YYYY') & " - " & DATETIME_FORMAT({End Date}, 'MMM D, YYYY')
)
)

Hope this helps, and good luck!