Help

Can I add fields to a synced table and have them appear and update in the source?

Topic Labels: Sync
580 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madisenbaldwin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a base "Inventory and Catalog" to keep track of seed received and varieties. This is the source

I sync a catalog table to a base "Trials" where data lives about projects. I sync the variety catalog to this base so that users can link varieties into trials and say how much seed they'll use per trial.

So i've added a linked record field in the synced catalog table for "trials" and then a field that rolls up how much trialing seed is used per variety. I want the seed used roll up field to then appear back in the inventory and catalog base but can't seem to figure out how to make that happen

For security reasons, I cannot put trials and varieties in the same base because varieties are entered with an external form, and our IT doesn't want that third party to access our trialing information.

5 Replies 5
madisenbaldwin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Additionally. I am trying a work around where:

I make a source in the trial base from the original synced table with the seed usage. I put that table with the seed usage to a synced table in the Inventory and catalog base. Then i am trying to run an automation that will link the 2 tables in the inventory base by matching variety name. However I can't get that automation to work either

Yeah, making another sync back to the Inventory and Catalog base would be the way to go here.  Could you elaborate on the issues you faced with getting the automation to work? 

If you could DM me a link to your base I could try to take a look at this for you

---
I'm actually kind of confused by the reasoning for not being able to put them in the same base.  If the variety data is keyed in via an external form by a third party, the third party doesn't have access to Airtable in any form anyway, right?

Further, if they do need to have access to the table to key in stuff directly, you could create an Interface for them and provide access to that without giving them access to the underlying base?  (This is a paid feature, but given that you're syncing tables that means you're on a paid plan?)

I got the automation to work finally, I was not doing it in the correct order before. I'll explain here for others:

Source: Seed catalog (seed received), Synced to Projects (Seed used + Seed available), Synced back to Seed Catalog (Now Seed available). Created a linked column in seed received and the final seed available in the seed catalog. Automation runs to match the link columns together.

Trigger: When a record is created in final synced table in the seed catalog base (because it was created in the source)

Action: Update the source "seed recieved" using the record id formula as the match, with the variety name in the seed used linked column.

Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm going to try the interface suggestion you made in the last paragraph, as they said they needed permissions for the base to key in. This is fillout.com. If they do need access to the base, then I can't share data with them about what seed i am testing and have made advancements on

Confirmed that fillout.com needs base access and you can't connect it to and interface. IF airtable had a way to nest forms within forms like fillout.com does, then i could by pass all this.

Ah, I see!  Sorry, I didn't realize that when you said third party you meant any third party applications; I thought we were referring to the people who were keying in the data via the forms

Glad you figured it out!