Help

Can you use a Look Up field on a Linked Record field that links to the same table?

Topic Labels: Base design Formulas
556 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maria_Robertson
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I'd like to be able to link records together in the same table, and view connections easily!

In my test base, I have a table that lists different talks. Some of them reference others, so I made a "Link To Another Table" field called "MENTIONED REFERENCES". 
Maria_Robertson_0-1694191259002.png

This allows for linking a record to any possible children records. But not vice versa.
I want to be able to see this link when opening a child record, to check what parents records it may have.

e.g. based on the above pic, if I opened Talk E, the new field should say that it is linked to 
- Talk D
- Talk F
Ideally it'd be a field that lets you click on any Linked Records too, not just text.

I don't know if this is possible in Airtable. Is it possible to use a "LookUp" field? Or resort to Automation or scripting? Haven't had a successful result yet.

Here's a mock-up of what I'd like to have. (done in Microsoft Paint :P)

Maria_Robertson_0-1694192154493.png
Any advice would be appreciated!

2 Replies 2
Alexey_Gusev
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Hi,
you described usual behavior of linking between two tables, each created link automatically receive back link in other table. In self-linked table such backlinks are not creatred, but can be built by script, you should search here, in community. I think, automation also might be here, to provide dynamic table support.

Otherwise, you can build it by linking 2 tables, and if primary fields are 2 similar sets of unique values, link them again in other field, direct one-to-one (which you can hide and setup automation to maintain for new records). Then use lookups to get data.

Maria_Robertson

Thanks for the reply, I didn't consider terms like self-linked table or backlinks. Searching them led to posts I haven't seen, cheers!
This one looks close to what I'd like: https://community.airtable.com/t5/development-apis/new-script-same-table-linked-records-backlinks/td...