cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JG-IWC
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to Airtable and anything like it. I am trying to create a base that captures our firm's new clients and tracks their onboarding process. The problem I'm having is that a new client can go through different/multiple processes depending on the service relationship(s). For example, one client can have 3 different service relationships at the same time and all 3 may share multiple onboarding stages but also have stages that are distinct to the service relationship.

I would like a base where I can enter in the client's name and select the appropriate service relationship(s). Each service relationship will have it's onboarding stages, with the correct assigned staff to complete the task. Each service will also designate what forms are required. Everyone can see where a new client is in the process for situational awareness and also know when they have a task to complete. As an staff member completes a task it automatically moves to the next stage and notifies the next person of their new task.

I've created 7 tables: Clients, Services, Forms, Onboarding Tasks, Service 1 Onboarding Steps, Service 2 Onboarding Steps, Service 3 Onboarding Step. 

Is what I'm trying to do even possible or am I on the right track? Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Hello,

What you aim to do seems feasible, even if it is hard to give a detailed answer without a delailed understanding of your project.

Your approach looks right to me, knowing that creating tables and relationships between them will surely not be sufficient. I think you will need to setup some automations. You may also need to create an interface if you do not want users to enter the dabase itself.

The other point to consider is how many users will need editor rights on the data, since it has a direct impact on the project cost.

Regards,

Pascal

Hmm, I'd keep all the tasks in one table and use a field to set which service they were for instead of having them in different tables, and so the following tables would just be one table instead:
- Onboarding Tasks
- Service 1 Onboarding Steps
- Service 2 Onboarding Steps
- Service 3 Onboarding Steps

I'd use a single select field to indicate the "Type" of task, i.e. "Onboarding" or "Service 1" etc.  Not entirely sure what your business logic is here though, and I'm assuming there's a business reason you want them separated into their own tables?  If you find that each table's fields are all the same, I think it'd be worth considering putting them in the same table instead

You could also consider having a table where each record represented a single Client <> Service link as they may have multiple services, and so each service's onboarding stage can be tracked on its own.  The tasks in the table mentioned above would be linked appropriately to each of these records too

Assuming each service type has a unique set of tasks, I'd also try using record templates to make things easier too:
https://support.airtable.com/docs/using-record-templates-in-airtable