1007 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewGreen
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am trying to use Airtable as a resource to build concert programs for a music organization. I have one table (called Compositions) that contains what will be a very large list of compositions, and each composition may have anywhere from 0 to 6 movements. The movements are currently input as text fields. I have another table called Program Builder where I will be selecting from those compositions and the movements contained therein.

I have successfully linked the Program Builder table to look up compositions from the Compositions table. However, for any given program that I'm building I would like to be able to select specific movements of that composition, but not necessarily select all of them.

For example, I have the composition Cello Suite No. 3 in C Major, BWV 1009 which has six movements: 

1. I. Prelude
  2. II. Allemande
  3. III. Courante
  4. IV. Sarabande
  5. V. Bourrée I / II
  6. VI. Gigue

So for example, when I'm using my Program Builder, I can select Cello Suite No. 3 in C Major, BWV 1009, and once that is selected I would ideally like to have a field called Movement(s) which would be a drop-down menu that is populated by the six movements associated with that composition, and I could select the appropriate one(s).

Is that possible? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Andrew, yeap that's doable

I've created a new extension in the base called `v2` that should do what you're looking for

Screen Recording 2022-12-08 at 6.06.40 PM.gif

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

Hi Andrew, off the top of my head I don't think that's easily doable natively; hopefully I've overlooked something and someone else can suggest something

Your use case seemed really interesting to me though so I wrote an extension that I think should do what you're looking for

Screen Recording 2022-12-07 at 6.47.40 PM.gif

Here's a link

You should be able to view the code and you can just copy the code into your own base and try it.  I've tried to set up the code in a way that's customizable in terms of the relevant tables / fields, but if you do end up having issues with set up feel free to private message me a link to your base and I'll see what I can do

Adam - this is a really fantastic solution, can't thank you enough for this.

Not to push my luck, but is there a way to set it up so that you have the option to select multiple (or even all movements) for a given program? For example, in your base that you set up, could it be that in Program 1 you could select Mvmt I in addition to Mvmt V? Not sure if that would all populate in the same cell, or if each selected movement would populate its own cell (i.e. we could call that single cell Selected Movement(s) if they all populated there, or set up subsequent columns called Selected Movement 1Selected Movement 2, etc... if each selected populated a new cell). The Selected Movement(s) scenario would probably be most useful for our use case.

Thanks again!

Hi Andrew, yeap that's doable

I've created a new extension in the base called `v2` that should do what you're looking for

Screen Recording 2022-12-08 at 6.06.40 PM.gif

AndrewGreen

Amazing, can't thank you enough Adam!