Help

Re: Connecting more than one record at once in a Link field? Plus, help with percent complete by rec

Solved
Jump to Solution
1503 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BryceD
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I know that, according to this support article that "Multiple records can [only] be selected one at a time from the list of linked records (there isn't a way to link multiple records at one time).

I have a base with records for items to photograph. Each of those records has a Checkbox field for marking whether the item has been photographed or not. So each record has that field checked off or not.

My end goal is to see what percent of items have been photographed.

Because I can only create formulas by "row" and not by "column," I understand that I need to create a second table to start tabulating photographed and not photographed. So, I have a single record called "Whole Project" in that second table that links to all of the records in the first table. Then individual count fields in the "Whole Project" record in the second table show records in the first table that are marked complete and that are marked incomplete. A formula field then divides completed records by total records to give me a percentage "complete". 

The problem is that I have to link all the individual records in the first table to the "Whole Project" record in the second table one-by-one. With over 200 records, this is tedious. Is there some workaround for this? If not, how can I submit it as a feature request

Ultimately, I want to have this all feed into an interface to give my team an idea of how far along photography is on a project. 

Attached are screenshots of the first table, second table, and a quick mock-up of the interface.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

> The problem is that I have to link all the individual records in the first table to the "Whole Project" record in the second table one-by-one. With over 200 records, this is tedious. Is there some workaround for this?

Ah yeah totally

1. Copy the text "Whole Project"
2. In the "Items" table, create a view that includes all your records and the field that's linked to the "Counting" table
3. Click the field header for the linked field to the "Counting" table
  - This should select the entire column
4. Paste the value "Whole Project" into the entire column

All your records should now be linked. 

--

The way you've handled the percent thing is the same way I would have handled it, and I'd be very open to alternative ideas too!

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

> The problem is that I have to link all the individual records in the first table to the "Whole Project" record in the second table one-by-one. With over 200 records, this is tedious. Is there some workaround for this?

Ah yeah totally

1. Copy the text "Whole Project"
2. In the "Items" table, create a view that includes all your records and the field that's linked to the "Counting" table
3. Click the field header for the linked field to the "Counting" table
  - This should select the entire column
4. Paste the value "Whole Project" into the entire column

All your records should now be linked. 

--

The way you've handled the percent thing is the same way I would have handled it, and I'd be very open to alternative ideas too!

BryceD

Fantastic simple solution! That did the trick for me. Many thanks for your help Adam. 💫