149 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tobin_Perry
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a project and a task table. The tasks are all connected to projects. I'd like to connect the tasks together so when I need to delay (or move up) a project I can move all the tasks together. I thought when they came out with dependencies, that would work. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for what I want to do. First of all, my tasks aren't necessarily dependent upon one another. I don't need to do one before the other. They are simply tasks that need to be done before the project is done. I've tried batch move, but it gets complicated with weekends and holidays. 

Also, I have a project start date and a due, Plus I have a task start date, a working on date. The working on date just ensures that I'm working on the task before I need 

Any suggestions?

2 Replies 2

Perhaps you could try:
1. Have a number field in "Tasks" that displays the number of days from the start of the project that task is set to begin
  - Should be able to make an automation to populate this in bulk once you've set up all the tasks I think
2. Have a lookup field in "Tasks" displaying the linked project's start date
3. Have a formula field in "Tasks" with WORKDAY() to add the value from the field from step 1 to the lookup field in step 2
4. Have an automation that'll trigger when the project's start date gets updated, and its action will be to paste the value from the field in step 3 to the "Task Start Date" field

jsep
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Airtable allows for automatically cascading updates between date fields in dependent records within the same table, but not across separate tables, such as from "Project" to "Tasks."

The best way to manage this is to create an automation that triggers when a project's dates are updated.

This process can become complex quickly. If you need help setting this up, feel free to schedule call with me.