1049 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zachmcmullen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We are driving to develop a new base specifically for our marketing team that is strictly for photos/attachments relating to records in our main base . Our current idea is to have a synced base that has a form where content can be uploaded, creating a new record in the synced base and then linking to the record from our main base. The only issue is that Airtable says theres a 1TB limit to attachments. Does anyone have any experience with navigating around this limit or is there a better solution within Airtable or outside of Airtable?

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ben_Young1
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Since you're working with the 1TB attachment storage limit, I'll presume that you're an enterprise organization.

The prevailing strategy for use cases that have high storage requirements is to have a microservice or Airtable script that uploads attachments to a bucket in S3 or GCS. Once the object is uploaded, delete the attachment from Airtable and use Airtable to index your storage buckets.

Naturally, the downside is that you need to dedicate some developer time. I would definitely advise against just using an Airtable-side script to do this since you would have to handle authentication. In turn, you'd probably have to expose a hard-coded token into a script that is scoped for CRUD operations. If your user access is carefully controlled, then you can get away with it, but just food for thought.

Once it's established, it's slick.

Another alternative would be to use the Google Drive integration to index attachments that are stored in Google Drive.
You would still need to automate the upload of the attachment into Google Drive and handle its subsequent deletion from Airtable, but it works once all the screws are tightened.

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
Ben_Young1
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Since you're working with the 1TB attachment storage limit, I'll presume that you're an enterprise organization.

The prevailing strategy for use cases that have high storage requirements is to have a microservice or Airtable script that uploads attachments to a bucket in S3 or GCS. Once the object is uploaded, delete the attachment from Airtable and use Airtable to index your storage buckets.

Naturally, the downside is that you need to dedicate some developer time. I would definitely advise against just using an Airtable-side script to do this since you would have to handle authentication. In turn, you'd probably have to expose a hard-coded token into a script that is scoped for CRUD operations. If your user access is carefully controlled, then you can get away with it, but just food for thought.

Once it's established, it's slick.

Another alternative would be to use the Google Drive integration to index attachments that are stored in Google Drive.
You would still need to automate the upload of the attachment into Google Drive and handle its subsequent deletion from Airtable, but it works once all the screws are tightened.