898 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Airtabler1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello Airtable Community! I am relatively new to the platform and looking to build a solution to track work relationships and contract info for individuals as part of an organization. Right now, I have multiple tables, one for each "level" or "grouping" of employment (Regional Directors, Program Managers, Program Associates, Country Staff, Consultants, etc). I also have tables for each level of organization (region, country). I have them linked to one another to show relationships (so, for example, each record in the Regional Directors tab has a column for the region they direct, the countries in that region, the program managers in their region, program associates in their region, country staff in their countries, etc, all pulled from the other tables).

I have found that these separate tables are necessary because each class of info has different fields that it needs. Country staff, for example, have contracts with start and end dates and submit invoices that need to be tracked month to month, but I don't need any of those fields for the Program Managers.

My issue is this: I want to create a Personnel Directory where I can see all of the people (regardless of their title/level/status) in one table. Is there a way to do this without duplicating records from the other tables? I basically want a table that lists all of the records from the other personnel tables, without duplicating those records such that they are no longer linked.

Suggestions for how to design a base that can achieve the same ends are also welcome! This is just the path I've started down already, and there are a lot of things I like about it so far, but open to new designs.

Thank you for your help!

1 Reply 1

What you will want to do is combine everybody into the exact same table, and then create different "Views" to separate people into different levels/groupings.

Each View can also be configured to show you only the fields that you need to see for each particular level/grouping.

Since you are relatively new to Airtable, you will probably greatly enjoy my free Airtable training course, which you can take for free by signing up for a trial membership with LinkedIn Learning.

In my course, I discuss views in great detail!

p.s. If your company has a budget to hire an expert Airtable consultant to guide you, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld