Help

Drop down that contains a list of strings glommed from a data field?

Topic Labels: Base design
528 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jed_Davidow
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a table of parts, where the key is their serial numbers.

The first 8 digits of the serial are their lot number.

So 1234567800001 and 1234567800002 are from the same lot.

I have a formula field “LOT” that reads the left 8 digits to list that lot, and I am able to sort and bin by that in the table view.

But now I am designing an interface and I want to use the lot to select those parts. I can do this with a filter, but that requires typing it in. I want a drop down where the lots are the selections.

What is the best way to do this?

2 Replies 2

@Jed_Davidow - I would approach it this way:

• On you table have a formula field which displays the first 8 digits and a linked field to a “Lots” table:

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 17.27.06

• Set up an automation that copies the 8 digit lot string into the Lot linked field when the Name field is populated:

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 17.29.03

Now in your interface, you can add a filter that allows you to select the Lot linked field:

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 17.29.56

This doesn’t give you a single select drop down, but the linked field modal is pretty easy to find and select from (and it stops you have to type in the lot number). A linked field is also better if, for example, you want to count how many products you have in that lot, which you can’t achieve with a single select

Andrey_Kovalev
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

@Jed_Davidow You can do it manually if lots are more or less stable data. Add a single-select field, then copy a column with calculated lots and paste it into the newly created single-select field.
If you need instant updates of this field, then use automation to copy each time when the record is created.