cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anxious
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Account restrictions: Free Plan

Please note that rows are very precious as I am creating a database, so creating more rows is not feasible for me. I have already hit the row limit on the free plan. 😅

I would like to automatically select a size from a drop-down menu when the user enters a number.

For example:

A user enters a number from 100 - 119 and the table will automatically set the single select drop-down as "Medium".

A user enters a number from 120 - 300 and the table will automatically set the single select drop-down as "Large".

I am not sure if this is even possible, or perhaps it is possible with a formula.

Tips and suggestions are welcome!

Airtable Account: Free Plan
Records: 1,200/1,200 1000/1000 (I might have to find a different solution soon)
Automation Runs: ??/100
Extensions: 1/1 (TinyPNG Compression Script, looking for free alternatives)
6 Replies 6
Waster
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, it is possible to automatically select a size from a drop-down menu based on the number entered in a table. You can achieve this using a formula or a simple script in your spreadsheet application. Since you mentioned that you are working with a limited number of rows on the free plan, using a formula would be a more lightweight approach.

Assuming you have a column for the user-entered numbers (let's say it's in column A), and a corresponding column for the drop-down menu selection (let's say it's in column B), you can use an IF or nested IF formula to achieve this.

Here's an example formula you can use in cell B2:

=IF(AND(A2>=100, A2<=119), "Medium", IF(AND(A2>=120, A2<=300), "Large", ""))

This formula checks the value in cell A2 and sets the drop-down menu selection in cell B2 accordingly. If the number entered is between 100 and 119, it sets "Medium" in the drop-down cell; if it's between 120 and 300, it sets "Large"; otherwise, it leaves the cell empty ("").

You can then drag the formula down to apply it to other rows in the column, and the drop-down menu selections will be updated automatically based on the user-entered numbers.

Remember to adjust the cell references in the formula (e.g., A2 and B2) based on the actual location of your data in the spreadsheet.

Please note that formulas like this work for basic conditional logic. If you require more complex conditions or dynamic behaviors, you may need to consider using scripts or more advanced functions available in your specific spreadsheet application.

Anxious
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

First of all, thank you so much for donating your time to help me out!

Update: I forgot a curly bracket. So that fixed it. However, the solution does not select an option from a drop-down. It just writes the word in a field as plain text. Unfortunately, this is not what I was looking for and would complicate things when searching for an item at the end-user level. For example, when filtering, the user would have to type out "Medium" to find what they are looking for. Whereas if you had a drop-down menu, they can click on an absolute option and remove any guesswork and possible typos.

Anxious
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Well I tried to do it with conditional logic, but there is no option to do so. It only gives me these options:

Anxious_0-1690323749833.png

I tried to go down the "is not empty" path....but it just gives the same options on all choices. I found a post that could help me, BUT Airtable seems to have updated their automation and I don't see a solution. In the post I have linked "equal to/greater than/less than a number" could be entered. That doesn't look possible now.

https://community.airtable.com/t5/automations/help-creating-a-specific-automation-single-select/td-p...

This works fine for me:

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 1.20.49 PM.png

Is the field that contains the numbers set as a "Number" field? 

Of course, it had to be something that simple! It works now 🙂

Thanks.